Côte des Blancs funk

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeartOfGold

Reaction score
I used Redstar's Côte des Blancs for the first time and I have to say that it's the most funkiest and yeastiest brew I've ever made. Premier Blanc and all other yeast have come a lot more neutral. Have you noticed something you made with Côte des Blancs coming out really yeasty from the primary?

Last edited:
This is my favorite yeast for ciders and meads. I’ve used it dozens of times. It’s only yeasty the first couple weeks. This will fade after a bit of patience. I find it to be very neutral. Have won a Best of Show with it out of 20-something mead entries.

This yeast is offensive to me. I wouldn't use it on a fruit wine. Change of plan for what I had planned for it and start up with a different yeast. I make lower abv fruit wines with minimal aging. This is better for something like a mead that is aged for a long time. Premier blanc was great, Lalvin QA23, Mangrove/Vintner's harvest CL23. All three had been nice. I didn't like the mead I made with QA23 when it was younger, I turned it into a metheglin. I made mead with CL23 and it's fantastic.

Latest posts

Back