buckets and kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
Hi folks, i was just wondering how important it is for fv's to be food grade as i've been given some bits from a pub cellar clear out and included are 3x33ltr white plastic buckets complete with lids and markings on the side for the right amounts. Apparently they have been used for beer line cleaning and nothing else so they've only ever had line cleaner and water in them. I also got an old cider barrel made of plastic that used to sit on the bar with a tap on it but has been sat in the cellar for a few years and is absolutely manky, do you think it would be ok if i give it a really good clean and sterilise. I was just going to use it for my own cider so it doesn't need to hold any pressure as i like my cider flat.

Hi, check the bottom of the container for a number in a triangle, it should be 1 PET,2 HDPE, PP these should all be food safe (although opinions vary)!! However if it has had line cleaner in it then it should be food safe. Just rinse it well! (I use old chip oil buckets with no problems so far)!

White PP is usually near enough food grade for me. HDPE is a bit softer - I would be worried that old buckets would harbour bugs in the nicks and scratches. PET is the least permeable plastic of all, hence its use in pop bottles, but is usually clear.

I was given a pub cleaning barrel that had been used for cleaning it has been used by me for beer making for some time okay :party: as for the cider barrel, I used to work in the cider industry and any barrels that were very dirty we used bleach to clean them after soaking them for several days the mix at 10/1.all okay after washing with clean water use all you got after a good clean :cheers:

Hi guys thanks for the help, i checked the bottom and it's a number 5 in the triangle with pp under it and i also spotted the little fork and spoon symbol on the other side so they should be ok to use. So i now have 3 more fv's to go at :cheers:

Latest posts

Back