Brewzilla Gen 4 advice and experiences

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cheapy (2 for £7.99) bags arrived today. They are either just too small or they'll stretch a bit with the grain and they're pretty much bang on to hold with the drawstring around the lip of the mash pipe. I'll just have to see what happens next brew day.

IMG_20240816_124356.jpg

The cheapy (2 for £7.99) bags arrived today. They are either just too small or they'll stretch a bit with the grain and they're pretty much bang on to hold with the drawstring around the lip of the mash pipe. I'll just have to see what happens next brew day.

View attachment 102965
Maybe retailers of the Brewzilla should consider offering bags as an optional extra as it seems they are not performing too well as a SVB.

I get the feeling the gen4 isn't performing well full stop. Seems to be a few issues.
Honestly? I have had no real problems with my one but I do monitor the temperature from the top of the system using the RAPT thermo and use the wort deflection plate. I have had great efficeincies c80 % and the really good bit is the all but 300ml is transferred to the fermenter. I think like all systems the user has to learn how to use it. I cannot think why anybody would want to put a straining bag inside the system as next to nothing gets into the pump. I have used hop flowers and pellets and never had an issue with the system as nothing gets past the bottom filter plate.

Also really happy with mine, I enjoy employing a bit of knowledge/skill/familiarity to get things ticking along just how I want it, and also get efficiencies in the 77-80 range which is good enough for me. My cousin uses a Klarstein equivalent and sometimes it feels easier on brewday but I suspect this is actually because we have less information available and what we don't know doesn't hurt us 😄
We typically see efficiencies in the high 60s to low 70s with the Klarstein, though I'm sure this could be easily improved with proper attention given... Just like with the brewzilla.

One thing I can say with confidence: I cause more problems on a brew day than my Brewzilla Gen 4 does 😂

Maybe retailers of the Brewzilla should consider offering bags as an optional extra as it seems they are not performing too well as a SVB.

I'd welcome a fairly priced custom fitted bag but -- as I said up-thread -- my use of a bag is nothing to do with a failure of the unit to handle grain directly in the basket. It's purely for convenience when removing the grain to my compost bins.

I'd welcome a fairly priced custom fitted bag but -- as I said up-thread -- my use of a bag is nothing to do with a failure of the unit to handle grain directly in the basket. It's purely for convenience when removing the grain to my compost bins.
Being from Yorkshire originally, my grain pipe has a pit stop between the BZ and being emptied out. I stand it over a stock pot until the boil gets going and then add the litre or so of wort that has slowly trickled out of the pipe.

Being from Yorkshire originally, my grain pipe has a pit stop between the BZ and being emptied out. I stand it over a stock pot until the boil gets going and then add the litre or so of wort that has slowly trickled out of the pipe.

Trickled 😱

Stand your co2 bottle on it, as a press and get 2 liters

attrib: @foxy

So got round to sorting the new gen 4...all put together nicely, changed pump plumbing...a doddle...no the techy bit...have an account with rapt...all firmware up to date...wi fi all connected...the problem i have is registering the brewzilla..i have all codes etc but when i login to my rapt account all i can bring up is my account profile...nothing anywhere to register device...am i missing something?

So got round to sorting the new gen 4...all put together nicely, changed pump plumbing...a doddle...no the techy bit...have an account with rapt...all firmware up to date...wi fi all connected...the problem i have is registering the brewzilla..i have all codes etc but when i login to my rapt account all i can bring up is my account profile...nothing anywhere to register device...am i missing something?

On the dashboard at app.rapt.io there should be a button at the top to register a device:

1723896643016.png

I've never had an issue with mine either, there does seem to be a lot of hate for it though, generally from people that don't have one from what I have read 🤣
I think the Gen 4 has taken a bit of a kicking by some brewers who just want plug and play system.
I had to adapt my brewing method as it is a different machine to my last one but it is a good piece of kit.
I think some people do need to understand how it works and the benefits above the norm.
I have better control over my mash than before and some of these knockers need to look how accurate they say their mash really is.

I think the Gen 4 has taken a bit of a kicking by some brewers who just want plug and play system.

That strikes me as illogical.

You can buy systems to configure. Dark farms spring to mind, but there are many others. Lots of Triclamps, hoses and components to tinker with.

You buy 'all in one' single vessel systems that do all of it.
My expectation is no tinkering.
Programmable, controllable "plug and play"

How have brewers got it wrong?

Too many variables to buy a machine that does it all for starts grain crush is different for every all in one so putting the wrong crush will create issues no matter what machine.
Heating by most machines is done with generally heating elements at the bottom and the temp probe is near the bottom on most so mash temp is totally inaccurate unless you have secondary readings away from the element etc.

I had to adapt my brewing method as it is a different machine to my last one but it is a good piece of kit.
I think some people do need to understand how it works and the benefits above the norm.
I have better control over my mash than before and some of these knockers need to look how accurate they say their mash really is.
As mentioned by MashBag that doesn't make any sense.:?: There are pages and pages on other forums about the problems faced with the Brewzilla Gen 4. If it was from purchasers of any all-in-one expecting to plug and play then why aren't we seeing similar amounts of pages about the other all-in-one units which are on the market?
Surely we can't be expected to believe that a large portion of the consumers opting for the Brewzilla G4 are all clueless Muppets?

Not at all it is peoples perception of what a AIO machine is that is wrong. A AIO machine is what it says it can mash boil and make wort all in one machine instead of a normal 3 vessel system. They are not a machine that you just plug in and brews wort for you but some people think that you can add grain and it does the rest.
You need to have some brewing knowledge and be prepared to find out how to make the machine operate. Unfortunately some brewers expect too much without realising that you can have a so called brewing machine that can be affected in its operation by many factors.
If you put a brewing profile in and do not use the right grain crush it will clog up if you do not get the right mash flow it will also clog up if you use the same recipe/crush as in previous AIO machine it may also not run smooth.
I have after my initial brews not had a problem with the system and I struggle to see why other brewers have.
There are many brewers who can not remember when these AIO system came in and the issues that was had by many people with all systems whether it be Grainfather, Klarsteins, Brew Monks etc until they gleaned enough knowledge of how they operated.
Nowhere have I said they are clueless muppets too what I have said is some people have not enough brewing experience in these systems especially the newer brewers to the hobby who need to learn the brewing craft to understand how these machines have evolved and how they work.

Not at all it is peoples perception of what a AIO machine is that is wrong. A AIO machine is what it says it can mash boil and make wort all in one machine instead of a normal 3 vessel system. They are not a machine that you just plug in and brews wort for you but some people think that you can add grain and it does the rest.
You need to have some brewing knowledge and be prepared to find out how to make the machine operate. Unfortunately some brewers expect too much without realising that you can have a so called brewing machine that can be affected in its operation by many factors.
If you put a brewing profile in and do not use the right grain crush it will clog up if you do not get the right mash flow it will also clog up if you use the same recipe/crush as in previous AIO machine it may also not run smooth.
I have after my initial brews not had a problem with the system and I struggle to see why other brewers have.
There are many brewers who can not remember when these AIO system came in and the issues that was had by many people with all systems whether it be Grainfather, Klarsteins, Brew Monks etc until they gleaned enough knowledge of how they operated.
Nowhere have I said they are clueless muppets too what I have said is some people have not enough brewing experience in these systems especially the newer brewers to the hobby who need to learn the brewing craft to understand how these machines have evolved and how they work.
You are missing the point. I agree every brewer has to adapt to the unit they purchase, but there aren't pages on multiple forums about the Grainfather, Klarstein and Brew Monk, etc. complaining about the units or having to use a bag to get them to work to some sort of satisfaction.
I never said that you said they were clueless Muppets, I said that. I was making the point that it is the Brewzilla Gen 4 which has far more than its fair share of disgruntled users compared to other units on the market, hence the Muppets comment.
If you read all the posts from those not happy with the G4 you will see that many are experienced brewers coming from one of the earlier Brewzilla's.

Latest posts

Back