Brewnight: Classic apple TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all....

Just for a change, I thought I'd remind myself what an apple juice only TC tastes like... without my usual addition of syrups etc...

So:

24L Morrissons apple juice
1L Strong tea (5 bag)
Sachet of cider yeast with sweetener

Method
Chuck apple juice in FV
Chuck in tea (still hot)
Temp 20deg
SG 1.043
Bung on yeast
Stick in cupboard

Simples 😃

Notable omission was pectolase, which I usually put in but left out this time just to see if it actually makes any difference 😎 Seems pretty clear to begin with

Will report back in a week

bb8312d537df100ca5571a347aa45b76.jpg

4d764add58ab3141fba073f7c84ba1ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I just put one on a few days ago. Never done a plain TC before, so I'm looking forward to it. Now I'm umming and arring about whether to backsweeten or not.

I just put one on a few days ago. Never done a plain TC before, so I'm looking forward to it. Now I'm umming and arring about whether to backsweeten or not.

can't you back sweeten half of it?

Roddy, it'll be interesting to know if you think there's a difference with the pectolase or not. I usually put in it out of habit.

I made one of these about a month ago, with pectolase and nutrient added. It's come out foul, smelling eggy, where did I go wrong?

What Chippy said. Also how many litres and how much yeast.
I think the eggy smell is due to stressed yeast isn't it?

That was my thought, the youngs super wine yeast compound has nutrient in it but i always add a level teaspoon just to be on the safe side.

1 gallon made thusly: 4L juice from concentrate, pectolase and nutrient as per the container a teaspooon of each probably, don't have it handy but I followed the instructions, cup of tea from 2 stewed teabags, random pack of sparkling wine yeast which was defintely fresh. Fermented it out over a couple of weeks, fined it in a secondary for a few days then bottled with 3.5 g sugar. It's nice, crystal clear dry cider, but there's this subtle unpleasantness in the background. Eggy / sulpherous.

As you added nutrient the yeast should have been fine. :confused:

If you can get hold of it try some Youngs super wine yeast compound and add a level teaspoon of nutrient to your next one, i have used nothing else for years and have never had a problem.

I only use cider yeast now with my tc, was getting off flavours using a wine yeast. Also back sweetening does mask some off flavours I find.

try EC118 yeast - its a champagne yeast that can work in a huge variable of temps and will see you through to about 18% if you want it to apparantly

Bottling night, jeez it's getting duller each time haha

50 bottles of appley goodness

Primed with 350g sugar dissolved in about 3/4 pint of hot water

This is the only time I've not used pectolase so it'll be interesting to see how it clears in the bottle 😀

8ae25788957701e537c54abd628140c1.jpg

632dbf59baecbfdc8ab9f02ba4c4854d.jpg

1 gallon made thusly: 4L juice from concentrate, pectolase and nutrient as per the container a teaspooon of each probably, don't have it handy but I followed the instructions, cup of tea from 2 stewed teabags, random pack of sparkling wine yeast which was defintely fresh. Fermented it out over a couple of weeks, fined it in a secondary for a few days then bottled with 3.5 g sugar. It's nice, crystal clear dry cider, but there's this subtle unpleasantness in the background. Eggy / sulpherous.

did you find the cause?

Yea definitely gonna ba e a bit cloudy, it's clearing but with wispy stuff (almost like smoke), wisping around....

Go away my hols on Sat will see how it looks on Fri

Hmm looking better already, might just take a little longer to clear completely..

PET bottles are firm as hell, might have overdone the priming in this lot.. I think an early sample is required, I have one in the fridge waiting for me..... update to follow

Ah not bad at all, tastes of Nice crisp apples, kind of a Bulmers level of dryness, if not a bit sweeter

Didn't explode when opened either so looking good

It has a slight haze to it so I will stick to using pectolase I think

[ame]https://vimeo.com/172940542[/ame]

Latest posts

Back