Brewers Gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesb

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All.

Looking at brewing this tomorrow. Any comments?

Brewers Gold

Recipe Brewers Gold Style American Pale Ale
Brewer James Bendall Batch 23.00 L
All Grain

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.052 OG Estimated FG 1.013 FG
Recipe Bitterness 38 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.0%
Recipe Color 6° SRM Alcohol by Weight 3.9%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
2.00 kg Lager malt Grain Mashed
3.00 kg Maris Otter Malt Grain Mashed
0.20 kg Torrified wheat Adjunct Mashed

Quantity Hop Type Time
30.00 g Brewers Gold Whole 90 minutes
20.00 g Brewers Gold Whole 15 minutes
40.00 g Brewers Gold Whole 0 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Irish Moss Fining
1.00 unit Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast

Recipe Notes

Dry Hop in secondary/cornie with 10g of Brewers Gold

- Nottingham yeast because I've only got that or S-04

Just had to change the hopping schedule as I've just noticed that the AA on my hops is lower than I'd set in QBrew.

Now going for 35g @ 90m and 35@0m for 36 IBUS.

That'll do the job very nicely as a higher-gravity Golden Ale :cool:

Crouch Vale use 100% lager malt in their Brewer's Gold but when I've done that it comes out feeling like it lacks a certain something.

I haven't ever tried the Crouch Vale so I couldn't comment. Just thought this would be a nice recipe :)

Mash liquor is heating up now. A late one for me but I was busy this morning.

Bugger bugger bugger.

Overshot my mash temperature. It's 69 degC.

Think I'll leave the top off the tun for five minutes, give it a stir and then wrap it up.

Anyone want to move this thread to Brewdays?

Took ages to get some clear run off from the mash tun. About four times more than normal.

Sparging now. I could definately do with some more head pressure on my HLT.

Cold out here too. I should sort out a heater.

Hope it turned out well JB. In the short time I've been brewing I've though about combining MO and lager malts. Is this your first, or is it a favourite :?:

I done a plae ale with MO and pils malt. Not that impressed really, prolly won't bother again.

Kingfisher said:
Hope it turned out well JB. In the short time I've been brewing I've though about combining MO and lager malts. Is this your first, or is it a favourite :?:

This is the first one I've ever done with lager malt. Just experimenting really. Some odd stuff with the boil "over" on this one. Don't know if I can put it down to the lager malt though.

First hops are in.

Well that was the oddest brewday I've ever had.

Got nowhere near my normal amount of wort after sparging. I got the biggest boilover I've ever had in the boiler - especially as it was such a low amount of wort. Then the IC sprang a leak.

Then I liquored down. I wasn't too bothered about hitting my target gravity so I just filled it up to the mark on the boiler where I normally get 23l out.

Ended up with 25l @ 1049, which will do me nicely.

[and relax :drink: ]

Ok, I declared this beer officially open tonight, I've also managed to try the Crouch Vale Brewers Gold in the meantime which I wasn't too impressed with.

It's a bloody lovely pint. The bitterness is just right and the flavour is superb. Clear as a bell too.

I can tell it won't last long.

One thing I'd quite like to try if I do this again is a few Saaz or something at flame out just to give it an extra hint of flowery flavour.

EDIT: Of course, for those of you who think I may have perfected time travel, I actually mean LAST NIGHT.

Back