Brewday from hop plant to pint (with pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJIM72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought this might make a nice twist on the normal brewday post & will be updated as time goes on.

My planned recipe can be found here:

http://www.hopandgrain.com/englishale.aspx

But here it is anyway

Hopping Hare - 23 litres

Badger Hopping Hare

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.550
Total Hops (g): 130.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1044
Final Gravity (FG): 1011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 6.4 (EBC): 12.6
Bitterness (IBU): 37.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill

4kg Maris Otter
300g Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt

Hop Bill
60 mins: 30g First Gold (7.9%)
10 mins: 30g Cascade (5.5%)
10 mins: 20g Goldings (7.2%)
Flameout: 30g Cascade (5.5%)
Flameout: 20g Goldings (7.2%)

STEP 1:THE HARVEST

Only the Challengers have done well this year,but I managed to pick & dry enough First Gold for the recipe.

So after a quick picking the dehydrator has been filled and set @ 40'c for 6 hours-I rotate the trays every hour or so to get an even finish through the hops. I could have left them a little longer,but wanted to get them picked before the rain sets in.

After drying the hops get vac packed & into the fridge or freezer for storage. Here are the First Gold dried & packed

Will wait for the weekend to get a brew on.

I would welcome any tips or suggestions from others that are growing their own hops.

They really are a vigorous plant-if any of the bines touch the ground they will put down roots. Managed to give a pal some plants this way & they seem to be going great guns So if you know someone local with some hop plants they will probably be glad to help you out.

STEP 2:BREW DAY
Pretty much going with the recipe above with the addition of some aromatic malt.

First Gold ready to go:

Grain bed just before sparging:

First runnings were a bit mucky:

Wort up to a rolling boil,hops in:

10 min additions:

Flameout & 0 min additions

In the FV,well aerated:

Got the volume right,but only got 1043 for gravity.

STEP 3: PINT (FECK THAT!)

HPIM0671.jpg

Pulled a few pints from the keg already. Its clear & carbed & suits me down to a tee.Will keep one bottle back to age for research purposes.Photo doesn't really do justice-Vossy is visible through the glass from 3 feet away & further.

In total that was 19 days from picking to drinking. TBH its ridiculously young by the normal rules of conditioning (1 week per % ABV),but there were a lot of Cascades at the end of the boil & not a whole lot of bittering hops.

My First Gold plant didn't do particularly well this year,but I'm more than pleased with the one brew I will get from it. Will be going for an all homegrown Challenger brew soon,on the back of this don't think I will be disappointed.

bobsbeer said:
Looks great. :thumb: when you said plant to beer I expected to see you out harvesting and malting barley as well. :lol:
bit harsh bob :tongue:

interesting post like it :thumb:

Thanks JonnyD, glad you enjoyed the post. Its always interesting to me to see what other brewers are doing-we all have something different to show.

Bob's comment-harsh? Not at all-made me think "he's got a point!". Jolly banter & nowt more.

I just got an allotment so next year I will start growing - I hear the first couple of years are light on flowers but I in it for the long game :)

Latest posts

Back