Bowerfold Brewery Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test batch with the HERMS bit today, reported elsewhere.

Whilst I was doing it, I had a 'race against the brew' build of a new drop in cooler.

I built a coil, like this...

4egabuny.jpg

Then a whirlpooly return manifold, like this...

egy2y6y8.jpg

Then I mounted it all on the bottom of the lid to my boiler ...

ysyrydad.jpg

So that I can drop it in my boiler in the last ten minutes to sanitise, and then cool

6y6uheja.jpg

(The hole at the back is just to vent some of the steam)

Just about built and cleaned it in time to use. Down to pitching temperature in 20mins - so overall, pleased.

Thats an elegant solution for the chilling, what hop filter are you using? how is it dealing with the recirculation while cooling?? great stuff..

No whirlpool effect - partly because my pump (immortal solar thing) just doesn't shift the wort fast enough, and also, I'm not sure that its trying to whirlpool in the right direction. Well have to think about that...

Overall, though, it work really well for its primary function, the recirculation across the cooling coil has halved my cooling time. :)

Fil - I'm using a stainless mesh false bottom as a hop stopper. It seems to be coping just fine. I also like that my boiler is lidded whilst cooling to stop nasties getting in.

cheers, im very interested as im almost about to cut the element holes for my own bigger brewkit boiler. and i am planning on recirculating over my current drop in coil, but when i upgrade you have given me ideas for an enclosed solution;).

when you say your boiler fb is mesh? do you mean mesh like #30 ss mesh used in the garth or envelope filters or the 2mm perforeated ss sheet used by many in the tuns for fbs..

my current hop filter is a loop of ss braid which works best when hops are allowed to settle gently on it during a rest prior to draining, if recirculating it clogs quickly.

my current plan with the bigger boiler is to make a hop spider using an old grain bag to keep the hops seperate while allowing them to circulate as much as possible..
8425562248_6846688375.jpg

but ideally i would like to employ a hop filter that will cope with recirculation.

Nice One Thanks... i have plenty of idea's but its good to know of a few copper bottom working solutions just in case all my ideas turn out terrible....

ahhh, as its not covering the whole bottom its not getting upset by the boil rising ;) i was wondering about that....

Today I am finishing my PhD. Wait, no I'm not, I'm building a new false bottom for my mash tun. Bought one of them oxo spatter guards and removed the handle. Put 35mm bolts through the central bit, and 30mm ones through the outer bit. Realised its almost the width of a 38,5l thermopot, so added rubber tubing around the edge for a nice tight fit.

Rather than flattening the handle connector, I've left it. Put a 90 degree bend on the tap inside bit, cut a bit of silicon tubing in half and placed it on top, now everything sits tight, with the bend siphoning goodness from the very bottom of the tun. Smiley face...

agyqyza4.jpg

6aduru5y.jpg

Now, back to the writing

markpeace said:
Today I am finishing my PhD. Wait, no I'm not, I'm building a new false bottom for my mash tun. Bought one of them oxo spatter guards and removed the handle. Put 35mm bolts through the central bit, and 30mm ones through the outer bit. Realised its almost the width of a 38,5l thermopot, so added rubber tubing around the edge for a nice tight fit.

Rather than flattening the handle connector, I've left it. Put a 90 degree bend on the tap inside bit, cut a bit of silicon tubing in half and placed it on top, now everything sits tight, with the bend siphoning goodness from the very bottom of the tun. Smiley face...

agyqyza4.jpg

6aduru5y.jpg

Now, back to the writing

Whats the diameter of that mate, stock original? nice job.....

It's a bog standard amazon job. Tested it yesterday and there was a bit on ingress initially until the filter bed set in. On inspection, the tubing had shrunk under heat, exposing gaps near the tap cover. I'm going to solve this with a couple of inches of wider diameter tubing over the thinner stuff at each end.

Very inventive build. The splatter guard is genius. Give that man a doctorate.

Can't take the credit for the spatter guard, that ones been in circulation for a while now - only this particular 'spin' on it.

I finished the PhD though...

Latest posts

Back