bottling sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bing

Reaction score
ok, so it's a while until i need to bottle but, well, 'be prepared' as boy scouts say...

i've seen that sugar 'drops' are available to pop in each bottle when filling with beer.

are there any other options instead? can brewing sugar be used instead?

Just use normal household sugar. You wont notice any difference and it is much cheaper :thumb:

Edit: Snap :thumb:

the_bing said:
ok, so it's a while until i need to bottle but, well, 'be prepared' as boy scouts say...

i've seen that sugar 'drops' are available to pop in each bottle when filling with beer.

are there any other options instead? can brewing sugar be used instead?
one sugar cube is equivalant to one teaspoon of granulated sugar,

If you can bulk prime by adding the sugar to a fermenting bucket with a tap at the bottom use about 5g/L sugar to brew ensuring that it is well mixed then fill your bottles from the tap via a short piece of tube. this ensures that each bottle gets the correct amount of sugar for its size, i.e. a 1 pint bottle gets the same ratio of sugar to beer in it as does a 1 litre bottle. This is the easiest way to bottle I have found.

I also recommend batch priming although I would use less than 5g/L for an ale. I normally use 100g for 23L which is nearer 4g/L. For a lager or wheat beer you would want more. Ultimately, it is all down to personal taste, so that's just my opinion.

never tried other sugar
but apparently any sugar will do
normal sugar is about 90p kilo
brewing sugar about £2.20 kilo
remember a kilo can prime up to 210 litres
so 22p a batch on brewing sugar
9p normal sugar
so i use about 22pence worth in each brew
and i'm a Yorkshire Man

on a 21 litre batch prime with 90g brewing sugar mixed and boiled in about 350ml water for 5 mins
let to cool to equal your fermentation buckets temp and chuck it in and stir trying not to get any air in then stir av a beer 10 15 mins then bottle
90grams will get a soft carbonation up to 130 grams will give you ice cream head or there a bouts
i do not advise going over 130g though dangerous :electric:
double make sure fermentation has stopped
FG reading the same over 2 days will do
I always batch prime

German wheat beers can be primed to 3 vols and over, this makes nearly 200 gms per 23 ltr batch. :D

zgoda said:
German wheat beers can be primed to 3 vols and over, this makes nearly 200 gms per 23 ltr batch. :D

that's interesting as yesterday made me 1st Hefeweizen
I will be bottling this when ready
made 29 litres of it
not looked into priming this yet :shock:
your saying it's gunna be primed with over 200 g
in my past experience i put in 135 g in a 21 litre batch and got ice cream head and forced to open em over the sink
do wheat beers need more priming sugar just because they are wheat and wheat doesn't carb up as much as malt?
or is it, wheat beers need an ice cream style head?
:)

ok done some reading found this

Carbonation Guidelines by Style
British Style Ales 1.5 - 2.0 volumes
Belgian Ales 1.9 - 2.4 volumes
American Ales and Lager 2.2 - 2.7 volumes
Fruit Lambic 3.0 - 4.5 volumes
Porter, Stout 1.7 - 2.3 volumes
European Lagers 2.2 - 2.7 volumes
Lambic 2.4 - 2.8 volumes
German Wheat Beer 3.3 - 4.5 volumes

so priming Hefeweizen 29 litres is
Table Sugar: 294.5 g
Corn Sugar: 323.6 g
DME: 433.0 g

to get 3.4 Volumes of CO2:
loads o sugar
:hmm:

I did my first brew, a Coopers Wheat Beer with 1 carb drop per 500 ml and it was almost flat, 1 drop = 3g (from the Coopers website) no wonder it had no head on it. I am now using 1 level measuring teaspoon of brewing sugar per 500 mo bottle on my ale's and they are coming out OK, but I like a head on my beer and do not use a pint glass, only a half pint normal glass tankard.

The most consistent results I found is using a calculator and batch priming to volumes of CO2 with normal sugar, you need to take into account the temp of the beer. As above a lot of reference material seems to underestimate the CO2 needed for continental styles. Just drank a Belgian Blonde at 4 volumes and a Saison at 3.8 volumes.

Latest posts

Back