Bottling Question (plastic)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthur

Reaction score
I'm just about to put my first attempt into my pressure barrel however I'm thinking about the next already and trying to save some time as I think I have contaminated my first attempt.

My house goes through a lot of 2L Irn Bru bottles (Its a Scottish thing I think). Would I be able to use them to store the cider after first fermentation instead off a pressure barrel? Would I need to leave some space for movement or make sure theres as little air as possible in them? I'm going to start collecting Glass bottles but until I have a collection I was hoping this would be ok? Would mean I could start fermenting my next batch tonight and take extra care and do everything I have learned on here :)

Thanks.

Yes you can bottle in plastic PET bottles, I normally add 1tsp per 500ml for a fizzy carbonation so 4tsp per 2L would be about right, then treat them as you would a keg, leave them in the warm house for a few days for the pressure to build up then transfer to somewhere cool/cold to clear.

The only downside with using 2L bottles is the sediment, when you open one you will have to decant the entire contents as the sediment will become disturbed as you pour.

On the plus side you can feel the pressure building up by giving the bottles a squeeze.

So thats what PET stand for them (never thought to google it before). Always thought that meant the glass bottles that you need to put the lid thing on (sorry I know what I am talking about just don't have a clue on terminology).

Thats me put my cider into the pressure barrel and I filled 1 550 ml plastic bottle just so I can see what its like clearing etc. I'm really looking forward to this now, I got a mouthful sucking the siphon and it tasted so good it was hard not to swallow any :)

Think I may skip the bottling until I feel comfortable with it. Thanks.

i normally only do one batch at a time and have just the right amount of glass bottles. But last week i started a turbo cider at the same time as my beer was clearing in my glass bottles so i used plastic two litre bottles with 4tsp sugar in them. Looks ok at the moment.

pet bottles are fantastic,fill em use em rise em out refill em.....

i use a lot for my beers,
fill them up and store upside down,in cardboard boxes,
the sediment settles in the cap,

you crack them open,upside down over a sink,
the pressure pushes out the sediment,
close it, turn up the right way remove the lid and rinse it out,
pop lid back on store in fridge ready for consumption,

result ....crystal clear beer.......SIMPLES.... :party:

I think he means just open them enough so that the sediment squirts out but none of the clear beer does, then close it again quickly and store the correct way up.

Seems like a good idea :thumb:

yep crack them open , the sediment gets pushed out, smells great to... :D

ive done dozens of bottles like this..[bitter,lager,ginger beer,stout].....its a winner.... :thumb:

you will be surprised how well the plastic cap holds the sediment.... :clap:

would it be possible to store in pet bottles until and then re bottle into glass when i have collected enough? Or would it be better to store in secondry for a month or two until I have enough bottles?

AG

Latest posts

Back