Bottles/Barrell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynamicbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question which I would like some advice with please!

I have just purchased my first brew kit froma local supplier, complete newbie to the field. My first brew is going to be the kit I got included which is a Coopers Australian IPA with the kit I got some carbonating drops and some bottles.

After looking around the Internet, YouTube this forum etc I'm a little confused as to what I should do, is there a benefit to using bottles or should I use a barrel or is it just personal preference? If I do use a barrel does it require me to put CO2 into the container in place of the carbonating drops?

I'm completely lost when it comes to this subject as topics such as using a second vessel to improve clarity and sediment in the bottles and how to avoid it are really confusing me!

Greatful for any help/links you can give me :)

Ben

I use bottles. I like them. They're a bit of a faff to fill compared to a barrel, but it means I can give some bottles to my friends/family. My understanding is that beer will last longer in bottles. I think you can only store it for 2 or 3 months in a barrel??
It's just a personal choice you have to make. If you already have the bottles try them out for the first batch and see how you like them.

Thanks mate,

It looks like barrelling will be more difficult at my level. I've invested in a "little bottler" s I'll give the bottles a blast first. You never know I might ruin the first bre and not do it again haha.

Ben

My first kit (for 22 years), a Woodfordes Admiral's Reserve, almost all went into a plastic barrel, just for comparison I did 2 bottles. It was fine from the barrel but the bottled was much better.
So as said, bottling is a lot more hassle and takes longer but the beer does taste better than barrels.

Latest posts

Back