Bottle conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy12345

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying some bottle conditioning but wanted to know what pressure different amounts of added sugar made so have made 6 special corks with ball valves in and I can change the gauge over to see. Here is a pic

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

This sounds like an interesting experiment , I will keep an eye on this thread with interest.

Now where is the pic?

I tried something similar for sparkling wine. I bored a hole in a plastic champagne stopper and inserted a tyre valve. Champagne can have a pressure of up to 90 psi and is primed at the rate of 21 g of sugar per bottle of dry wine. I use recycled bottles with a minimum weight of 800 g, but it is said that the glass is weakened once used. To play safe I only used 8 g of sugar and even this amount has caused the wire cages to stretch up to 2 mm. The pressure is enough to easily eject the hollow stopper and its sediment with minimum foaming. A new closed ended stopper is then rammed home with a rubber mallet and a new wire cage is fitted because the original has been weakened by twisting. The new stopper restores some pressure by compressing the air space. The wine obviously is not as fizzy at this pressure as the genuine article but better than my attempts at carbonating. 11g of sugar is considered safe. The issue of bottle security may be spurious. Once upon a time a deposit was charged on beer bottles so they could be commercially re-used, presumably several times. However an exploding bottle can be lethal!

Im having trouble getting any pressure in the bottles. I am using Gervin GV13 yeast and it dried out the juice to 1.000 in about 4 days. I have added a couple of grains of yeast to a 2nd bottle and added another gauge and will do a comparison

Roddy, try pressure testing a pipe to 15,000 psi with nitrogen while standing next to it. Thats scary!:)

Weird it worked perfect when you first made the thread, looked impressive as well, just a thought though when connecting the gauge you'll probably lose a small bit of pressure so not sure how accurate the readings would be, still be interesting to see the results

d0duhrb1t

Another try

try this

23ic7yd.jpg

computer says nooo 😡

edit: seen the bottom one now 👍

When I lived in the UK and made sparkling wine I used corks like this.
30x7bcw.jpg

You added sugar to the bottle and put the bottle upside down to condition.
Then all the sediment dropped into the condom at the end of the cork. After a few weeks you carefully turned the bottle 180 degrees while holding the condom which was then wired to the side of the bottle.
I presume you can no longer get these. I've googled but can't find them.

One brew I made the cork made a dent in the ceiling when I opened the bottle. The next one we went outside to open. I always remember the cork sailing into the distance and thinking some poor sod out doing his gardening was going to get a whack on the head.

Yes, I remember the blister cork. With the ones I used, you pinched the blister, cut it off and fitted a small plug into the hole. Obviously not re-useable, they were a bit expensive and no longer available. I now use open ended plastic stoppers, which are re-useable, to collect the sediment. When these are blasted off under pressure, about 80 ml of the wine is lost, which is about the same as you would discard if you left the sediment in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back