boiling water in plastic barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Breeder

Reaction score
i need a container in which to boil my mash...i was looking at a tea urn but they're too costly at the moment. in the mean time i thought i'd use my spare barrel and stick in an immersion element. I'm guessing the plastic will be heavy duty enough for this...any thoughts?

quite a few members use fv's as boilers i have a 30ltr one but am concidering chnging to a 60 ltr 23ltr brews are a bit tight in a 30ltr fv

Having 5 gallons of boiling liquid is not something is would guess upon. . . .The consequences of a failure are not worth contemplating . . . I've been on the receiving end

I've been using plastic FV's as boilers and HLT's for nearly 30 years without any problems!

I use a 60l plastic food barrel with two tesco kettle elements in it. Works a treat. Managed to boil 60l (they are bigger than they say). I got my barrels of ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60-litre-plas...denEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item3f00de3664

I also use them for fermenting as well. These ones had been used for food colouring (red) but were spotlessly clean. I just gave them a clean with a steam cleaner, jobs a goodun.

:cheers:

AG

thanks guys...i've almost finished my mash tun using two tesco plastic crates with holes drilled in the top one. I've placed both in a cardboard box and am filling the gap with expanding foam. Thing I'll try sticking a heater element in the primary fermenter to boil the wort...I've cleaned it with boiling water before so it should be okay. Should I be crushing my grain or just germinating and roasting whole?

The Breeder said:
Should I be crushing my grain or just germinating and roasting whole?
I buy my grain ready "malted", but do my own crushing.
If you do your own "malting", I take my hat off to you!

Latest posts

Back