Boiler elements (kettles)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
I was all set to buy a couple of Backer elements today, but they are out of stock for the next 3-4 weeks! I wanted to build it this weekend :cry: Anyone got a second or a first best solution. I was prepared to pay that little bit more for the Backer elements for that neater (safer) look. I have however seen that some people have had problems securing the Backers.

If you have 'local' electric repair shops try them for the Backer elements and leads. A lot of shops have them, and want rid, as who really uses them anymore (apart from hbers) you may well get a bargain ;)
Regards securing them, they can be fickle and try to fall off, especially on tighter curved pots.
Forum member Bru4u makes ss shrouds for them, and they're great value for money and loo the dogs b's :cool:
Have a look here

Thanks , I popped to Tesco yesterday and bought a kettle to see home happy I was with how secure and safe I could make it. I was quiet pleased with the way wa it fitted, so I am going to give another one a try.

I don't know what everyone else does but I installed my kettle elements upside down so that the majority of the electrical stuff was above the hole the element goes through. This was simply so that small leaks (which I haven't had so far) wouldn't drip anywhere near the electricity!

richc said:
I don't know what everyone else does but I installed my kettle elements upside down so that the majority of the electrical stuff was above the hole the element goes through. This was simply so that small leaks (which I haven't had so far) wouldn't drip anywhere near the electricity!

interesting idea! I trial fitted both elements last night, and filled the boiler. After leaving it all night, everything seems to be dry, happy with that! Just got the problem with the tun to sort and hopefully everything else will be plain sailing!

It's definitely worth boil checking with water before you use it in anger, I discovered a small leak around the tap that only started at about 80 degrees

Latest posts

Back