Boiler cut-out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondz

Regular.
Reaction score
My Electrim boiler element loves to cut out, giving a crappy duty cycle (on about 20% of the time), even when the thermostat is at max. I noticed that the element was caked in hops after the boil, which'd probably lead to it getting rather warm. Would a false bottom improve things? Is it worth adding another element (can't see why not) - if so, do the t*s*o ones have built-in cut outs too? A little bit of safety here seems like a decent idea and I don't fancy melting everything ;)

by pass the thermostat thing if you can they are useless for boils.

As to the hops you have to check every so often for hops around the element. In my set up you can tell becaus ethe boil stops rolling so use paddle to swill around the elements.

The T*sco elements have cut-outs, after about 10 boils mine wouldn't go 90 minutes so I removed it :shock:

Is the Tesco element cutout activated by a bi-metallic strip at the back of the element?

If not, could you explain how to remove the cutout from a Tesco element?

I found the easiest way to disable was to remove the small plastic pin behind the metal disc ( This should make sense if you are looking at the back of the element ;) )

I know the one you mean.
When I get round to doing it, I'll take a photo for others to see.

leondz said:
My Electrim boiler element loves to cut out, giving a crappy duty cycle (on about 20% of the time), even when the thermostat is at max

Hiya,

It's important not to get confused between the thermostat and the safety cut-out. If your safety cut-out is giving you a problem, it's more than likely to be the caked hops stuck to the element which you mention. The safety cut-out is there to prevent physical damage to the element so, if you disable it and have a hop build up against the element, you could risk burning the element out completely. Whilst elements aren't particularly expensive, it's a real pain if they blow right in the middle of a boil!

My boiler is made from a translucent plastic which makes it possible to see when hops have got caked and wedged under the elements during a boil, so I just slide a long-handled plastic paddle under the element(s) to dislodge the detritus (possibly two or three times during a 90 minute boil).

Apart from anything else, it's probably a good idea to keep caked hops away from the elements to prevent scorching, as well as prolonging the life of the element.

Ultimately, the safety cut out is provided for a reason; the operative word being safety. I've left the cutouts fitted my elements and have yet to have one cut out. The secret is removing the crusty deposits after a boil, and keeping hops away during the boil.

HTH :cheers:
Tim.

Latest posts

Back