blue drums

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used those blue plastic food grade drums for anything in brewing? I have a chance to pick up a few and wondered about making a boiler, fv and maybe even a conditioning barrel?

Seen a lot of people using them for all those applications, they are food safe and if the previous product was bagged in there, there will be no deoderising to do either.

don't know about conditioning in them though

Very nice - collection only though.

60ltr for £6 starting price. Wonder what the buy it now price is? I have no idea at all what the effect of heat on these would be though - even though it says food grade.

I use 60L cliptops to store my grains in. airtight and meeceproof.... I asked a while ago about using them for boilers and it was a tentative yes , there was some concern over the drums becoming pliable when heated..

I get mine brand new from a nearby factory and they are about £12 so £6 second hand is good

I use 2 X 220ltr ones as fermenters, and they work pretty good.

Not sure about using one for a boiler, but would assume they would be ok as they are pretty thick.

UP

This question has been asked before and they tested o.k with boiling liquid. Naturally though that was only for the one in question. For £6 you've not got a lot to lose really. Fit some elements, stick it at the bottom of the garden, and get it tested, prodding with a long stick might be best :grin:
Alternatively use a candle (or several) and a thermometer to test it.

Not sure about the blue drums however a very similar high density, chemical resistant, 100% food grade, polyethylene container in white had a max temp of 80C. Trying to find the link......

That's what I use - I have a 35 litre, 60 litre and 120 litre HLT and boiler and have used the 35 litre ones for FVs. No problems at all and have been using them been for a couple of years now :thumb:

Latest posts

Back