Blackpool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Me and SWMBO spent many a long weekend in Blackpool back in the day when all the celebrities played the theaters in the summer season its been a long time since we have been and we were surprise to see how many hotels etc have closed.

Why are these properties left empty when so may people are struggling to get on the property ladder and cannot find places to rent etc.

If you haven't got time to watch the full video watch the short version below.

Last edited:
I sort of get what you mean chippy.

But if you convert them to "bedsits", there are now a huge number of regulations and very expensive work needed for thing like fire alarms, sprinklers, electrical safety, that escalate rapidly if the building has more than 2 floors.

Coupled with the ceiling rental cost it's just not worth doing.

In spite of what the press say I think all these extra rules & costs have caused a lot of private landlords to sell up/reduce their holdings, which isn't helping rental costs.
Which leaves the bigger landlords hoovering up these properties and creating move of a monopoly. And before people say, a lot of these properties are not suitable/undesirable for a first time buyer.

Yup. My folks are landlords. And they're about to get hit massively with CGT if the rumours are true.
Landlords are ditching their properties really quickly at the moment.

I lived in Blackpool in the 90s. Frankly, there are many places I'd rather live too - it's grim. And these days it's much grimmer than it used to be.

Weirdly, a couple of hotels apart, Blackpool hasn't taken many refugees in - mainly apparently thanks to the 2 Conservative MPs. You'd have thought it was ripe for taking them on.

But if you convert them to "bedsits", there are now a huge number of regulations and very expensive work needed for thing like fire alarms, sprinklers, electrical safety, that escalate rapidly if the building has more than 2 floors.

Then demolish them and build affordable housing instead of building new sprawling housing estates causing flooding as the rain can no longer soak into the ground.

Then demolish them and build affordable housing instead of building new sprawling housing estates causing flooding as the rain can no longer soak into the ground.
Seems like the Labour Party doesn't want to use brownfield land. Victoria is about the same size as the UK with only 6.5 million people yet we have the build on brownfield land policy. It is pointless to keep expanding with global warming and people having to travel further. Rain has been a problem here, with the oceans warming there is more evaporation causing more precipitation, a few months ago crucifers went through the roof due to rain. $9.00 for a cabbage (£4.50)

I don't think it's that easy. These might he in private ownership. It would be a big legal battle from local authority to force a sale or get owner to repair. If local authority bought them to convert it would be a instant financial loss

I don't think it's that easy. These might he in private ownership. It would be a big legal battle from local authority to force a sale or get owner to repair. If local authority bought them to convert it would be a instant financial loss
Bang on

These might he in private ownership. It would be a big legal battle from local
I that case they have to keep them tidy and they must not be an eyesore,and a blot on the landscape, no litter strewn round them and stufgdumped outside etc if they are unable to do that they can be compulsory purchased by the council.

I that case they have to keep them tidy and they must not be an eyesore, no litter strewn round them etc you if they are unable to do that they can be compulsory purchased by the council.
They can do a CP for those reasons. First they need to get the owners to take out necessary repairs that prevent injury and eyesore. Again lengthy battle but not uncommon. Doesn't mean the building become occupied

I should also have added that having learnt from experience, the local authority maybe hindering development of certain buildings. My father once bought a old village pub that was in a similar state to some of those buildings. Application went into convert to 2 houses, 1 would be affordable. Rejected. Application for holiday let's, rejected. They wouldn't accept any change of use. In the end the building was demolished and land sold. I hear similar stories all the time. I am not one for getting rid of pubs etc but when they have closed for years and nor fit for purpose, let development happen.

This really is an issue. Good point.
There are numerous cases, where the narrow view and budget free planning t**ts stimee development with pointless, expensive & mandatory requests.

... And then they are surprised 😱 when the building deteriorates and becomes an eyesore.

What is "an eyesore"?
"Eyesore" is a term used to describe something that is considered unpleasant or ugly, especially in a public place. For example, you might describe a dilapidated building, graffiti, or litter as an eyesore

Yeah, but eyesore is quite subjective.

For some, it's could be as little as boarded up windows?

I think we can safely say all those in the video were a blot on the landscape/eyesore i feel sorry for the people who live next door or own Homes, hotels or guest houses opposite those.

Back