BIAB vs Conventional AG Method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Con is that efficiency not so high. .

Seems to be a lot of debate about that, I find I get efficiency around 75% without a sparge (I do mashout as a part of raising the full pot to its boil) but I read plenty get in the 80s.. although for me being more consistent is important. It is essentially just doing a big mash remove grain then boiling it.. I find it very very simple actually. I can understand having an automated system though being easy

I've given up on the mashout as it adds a significant amount of time to the brewday and I'm not sure exactly what I gain from it - maybe someone can explain?

I'm doing the hybrid BIAB as well, with no mash-out. From what I've read so far, a mash-out is needed to make the wort more liquid and to avoid a stuck sparge during lautering. Pretty much like warming up honey. I didn't notice any difference between doing and not doing it though. I think it's irrelevant for BIAB but not 100% sure.

I have a Sygnet and use the BIAB method, I tend to mash as near to full volume as possible, I mash in approx 20 litres (aiming for 22.4 litres in the FV) I add any short fall (liquor back) to the FV, I don't sparge but do give the bag a good squeeze recent brews have yielded 83-87% efficiency. I use Cornies so after fermentation I end up with 19 litres (you will be surprised how much trub you end up with), this usually leaves my a small amount of beer to aid yeast recycling.

So you're starting to mash with a manageable volume for the boiler and top up to 22.4l only once you're done boiling and have already filled the wort into the fermenter?
Basically diluting the wort with sparge water instead of rinsing the grain with it?
Sounds like what I should be doing! Many thanks

So you're starting to mash with a manageable volume for the boiler and top up to 22.4l only once you're done boiling and have already filled the wort into the fermenter?
Basically diluting the wort with sparge water instead of rinsing the grain with it?
Sounds like what I should be doing! Many thanks

I am not saying this is what you should do, purely stating what I do, I have a pulley system to lift the bag from the boiler once its clear & the wort has slowed down running back to the boiler, I use 2 chopping boards to squeeze the bag, thus avoiding burning my hands, I am sure this helps with the efficiency, plus when I sparged I created loads more mess.

Latest posts

Back