Best base hop for Irish dry stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
showing my age - hasn't been grown in the UK since the mid 80s!

Not true, Bullion has had a bit of a revival in the last few years as an aroma hop, see eg this, she's a sister of Brewer's Gold and aunt of Bramling Cross so shares some of that blackcurrant character. Chinook, Galena, and Columbus aren't that similar. Crossmyloof have them.
1626827895439.png

My last stout was the Greg Hughes Dry Stout.

It uses EKG and Chinook. It’s really nice.
Hi, I'm thinking of doing the GH Dry Stout next to use up some ingredients. Just wondering which yeast you used if it was a dry yeast. Looking at what's available at my local HBS I maybe restricted to US-04/05? Can't see an Irish ale yeast listed unfortunately. 🍻

Hi, I'm thinking of doing the GH Dry Stout next to use up some ingredients. Just wondering which yeast you used if it was a dry yeast. Looking at what's available at my local HBS I maybe restricted to US-04/05? Can't see an Irish ale yeast listed unfortunately. 🍻
I'm brewing one right now that I'm going to use nottingham in.

Hi An Ankou, thx for the website suggestion. Impressed there is no minimum order value.

Regarding the Bullion hops, would you add these to the Stout, and how much? The GH recipe only uses EKG.
Thx.
You're welcome. They're great to deal with.
Bullion went out of fashion for quite a long time and they're only just making a bit of a come back so iit's likely that GH hadn't sourced them when he wrote the first edition of his book. Also, if you're writing recipes, it's a agood idea to offer ingredients that are readily available. Also, also, EKGs can be used in any recipe under the sun, in my opinion. They're great.
As for how much- just recalculate the quantity according to the alpha acid content. They typically have about twice as much alpha acids as EKGs so you'd need half as much. But "typically" can be way out depending on the harvest.

Ladies and gents,

as ever a quick question, what's the best base hop for a dry irish stout? I've previosuly used East Kent Goldings but that was with a John Palmer "Mill Run Stout" which was a more fully flavoured brew including crystal and choc malt which I won't be using on this one

thanks

Kimosabby
EKG is fine just put the full amount in for your batch at the 60 minute mark, I have used Target and Nugget and find them just fine also. Another tip, after the boil draw off 650 ml of wort into a bottle or flask (with head room) add some lactic acid bacteria just a tiny bit, 1 gram is for 10 litres. Or just leave the bottle open for a couple of days soon as there are signs of fermentation put some cling wrap or foil over the bottle and let it ferment out. Heat it up to 70C and when cooled add it to your batch when it has finished fermenting. I use collected wort from previous brews which I have saved for yeast starters, gives the Guinness like sourness to your stout. Also steep your none fermentables, don't give them the full mash treatment. Just mash your flaked barley and base malt.

You're welcome. They're great to deal with.
Bullion went out of fashion for quite a long time and they're only just making a bit of a come back so iit's likely that GH hadn't sourced them when he wrote the first edition of his book. Also, if you're writing recipes, it's a agood idea to offer ingredients that are readily available. Also, also, EKGs can be used in any recipe under the sun, in my opinion. They're great.
As for how much- just recalculate the quantity according to the alpha acid content. They typically have about twice as much alpha acids as EKGs so you'd need half as much. But "typically" can be way out depending on the harvest.
Bullion sounds nice. Will try it with this brew and save my EKG for my next brew👍. Will report back or post on my brew day thread my recipe and how it went. 🍻

EKG is fine just put the full amount in for your batch at the 60 minute mark, I have used Target and Nugget and find them just fine also. Another tip, after the boil draw off 650 ml of wort into a bottle or flask (with head room) add some lactic acid bacteria just a tiny bit, 1 gram is for 10 litres. Or just leave the bottle open for a couple of days soon as there are signs of fermentation put some cling wrap or foil over the bottle and let it ferment out. Heat it up to 70C and when cooled add it to your batch when it has finished fermenting. I use collected wort from previous brews which I have saved for yeast starters, gives the Guinness like sourness to your stout. Also steep your none fermentables, don't give them the full mash treatment. Just mash your flaked barley and base malt.
Thx for your suggestions. I'll skip the lactic this time so I can see how the GH recipe tastes like, but will definitely use that in a future stout. The stepped mash is something I was going to try, so good call👍

hi,
I just checked my notes. I used Nottingham yeast.

I have re-used Citra dry hops to bitter a stout last winter and it came out nice. Perhaps it was the harshness of Citra as a bittering hop that helped there, I don't know. There was a bit of background Citra as well that made it interesting. Next time I do a Stout I will be using Jester because it's what I already have in my supplies, and I've had commercial examples with Jester that have been palatable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back