Bentonite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dracunculus

Reaction score
I've had a couple of wine kits (Paklabs Chilean Merlot and a Richies White Bordeaux) that have included bentonite which it said to add at the start of fermentation. Given that I thought Bentonite was a clearing agent can anyone tell me why it's being added at the start?

'Bentonite ... will provide a surface on which the carbon dioxide gas bubbles will form, and this will ensure a smooth fermentation with less frothing and less chance of a sudden surge and an overflowing ferment.'
Gerry Fowles.

^^^ Thanks.

In the case of the Merlot it seems to have stopped the ferment starting altogether :wha:

Not a great fan of bentonite as a fining agent, and it's main job is to clear hazes caused by proteins. I made up a solution as per 'First Steps...', but it went off quite quickly.
Clear It' is the best finings I have used. The Young's 3 part stuff that comes with Winebuddy is superb, but cannot be bought on its own.
But bentonite cannot be blamed for a failed fermentation.
'Merlot' and 'Paklabs' is a combination which I am currently finding highly irritating, as you may have noticed in another post!

Just doing a paklabs chillian merlot and its just finished in 13 days at a steady 20 degrees. It started off like a train though as I always hydrate the yeast first. Possibly duff yeast or low temp. Give it a couple of days to get going before condemning the yeast though.

Latest posts

Back