Bemused & Befuggled - a single hop best bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
AG#4, though my first solo one, is coming up, and I have devised what I hope will be a pleasant bitter using fuggles hops:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.60 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.91 %
0.32 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 8.08 %
0.04 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 1.01 %
40.00 gm Fuggles [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

The AA changes as the first lot is the last 40g of my old pack of fuggles, using the new pack for aroma.
If things are going well I intend to take a couple of litres of runnings and reduce down by about 50% to add a bit of toffeeness..

Any feedback much appreciated.

Good spot, sorry - I didn't fill that bit in :oops:, I don't bother with it, I'll just fly sparge and fill the boiler up (providing the SG doesn't drop below 1.006 of course)

Good luck Ian - tread boldly :cheers: I'm sure it will be fine, but me or the lads on here will sort you out if you get stuck (which you wont).

I think we agreed 73c & 80c respectively.

Dont forget to check if my digital thermometer has recovered its composure and keep a cynical eye on it.

I was going to suggest putting the whirlyfloc somewhere prominent, but on seconds thoughts I figured you are never going to forget to add one ever again :whistle:

BenMcBen said:
Good luck Ian - tread boldly :cheers: I'm sure it will be fine, but me or the lads on here will sort you out if you get stuck (which you wont).

I think we agreed 73c & 80c respectively.

Dont forget to check if my digital thermometer has recovered its composure and keep a cynical eye on it.

I was going to suggest putting the whirlyfloc somewhere prominent, but on seconds thoughts I figured you are never going to forget to add one ever again :whistle:
Head over here to find out...
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=510

Latest posts

Back