Belt in Oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughters had 3 different small cars
2013 1.6 puegot 208
2014 1.6 DS 3
2014 1.3 cdti corsa
All similar miles below the replacement intervals (cords chain driven)
In the same 3 month period the chain “fell off” the corsa - no damage new chain and tensioners
The DS3 chain shed 3 teeth resulting in catastrophic engine failure
And the pug went straight into the garage for a belt replacement
Same engine in the pug and DS3
Are any cars built to last these days ?

As it states below belts are used to keep the noise down this is BS as the guy in the video says there are so many other noises made by all the other moving parts in the engine then add to that wind and tyre noise using a belt would make next to no difference its all about initial cost a chain being more expensive than a belt and of course a belt will need changing along with the water pump at service interval meaning more profit for the garage.

Why do cars have one and not the other?
Where a quiet, more efficient engine is required, a timing belt is often preferred. As they are made from rubber, they’re also cheaper to manufacture, which means that car manufacturers may choose to build them into the vehicle. A quieter engine is often more appealing to buyers, so the timing belt is installed to ensure a smoother sound.

The longer lifespan of a timing chain is why they are chosen over timing belts – they very rarely break, but any problems that do arise are easy to catch before they reach the point of no return. For example, a worn chain will start to rattle noisily, which gives you a heads up that something is wrong, whereas a timing belt can snap without warning.

Last edited:
All similar miles below the replacement intervals (cords chain driven)

I wasn't aware timing chains were a service item i thought they were supposed to last the as long as the engine.

Is timing chain part of regular maintenance?
Timing chain replacement is only necessary if it has become stretched or broken, however having your timing chain inspected during regular engine maintenance is always a good idea.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware timing chains were a service item i thought they were supposed to last the as long as the engine.

Is timing chain part of regular maintenance?
Timing chain replacement is only necessary if it has become stretched or broken, however having your timing chain inspected during regular engine maintenance is always a good idea.
My mechanic would say that the chains are good but tensioners go so technically the belt will last the engine. What happened the corsa was the chain stretched on a long drive in very hot weather and when the car was parked outside a shop it basically “fell off”
Like said you only find out there is a problem when it’s too late with belts.
Belts in oil I have never heard of before but it sounds ludicrous to me to do it

My mechanic would say that the chains are good but tensioners go so technically the belt will last the engine.

To answer your mechanics point above the water pump is driven by the cam belt these generally need replacing from 50,000 miles onwards as the bearings wear if left too long they go and you have one messed up engine owners are advised to get the belt changed at the same time to save future expense, no cam belt ever lasts the lifetime of an engine unless the owner is tight and would prefer to play Russian roulette with their engine.

What happened the corsa was the chain stretched on a long drive in very hot weather and when the car was parked outside a shop it basically “fell off”

Surely in your case by the time it got to the stage it was so slack it fell off it would have been making so much noise you wouldn't have dared drive it further, i am also very surprised it didn't jump a tooth or two (which usually happens) making the engine run so badly you would have been forced to pull over.

A perfect example of the tensioner not doing its job -

Last edited:
Back