Beginner cider advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm going to join a friend making cider from his tree on Saturday. I've never done cider before, and neither has he.
He's got this kit https://www.brewbitz.com/products/home-made-cider-starter-package-10-litres.
Without going over the top, what else has he missed (he has a scratter/press etc). Is it worth chucking cheap yeast from the kit and getting something from CML etc? Is it worth adding yeast nutrient? Sodium Metabisulphate etc?

yes add nutrient . wine and beer yeast dont like cider must. i have had better results with nutrient then without. thats a nice kit btw. it says it has nutrient and cider yeast so i would keep that.

Looks good to me, instructions seem sound as well, get juice, add campden tablets, leave 24 hours, add yeast and nutrient, ferment, bottle, drink.

Though fermenting cider off the wild yeast already present on the apples is more fun but less predictable 😉

Have you seen how many apples he has available?
Be prepared to either top the quantity up or take some extra containers if he has more.

I don't know how he will scrat & press, but I pulp my apples in a food processor (wedding present from 30 years ago that now has a 2nd life)
Put the pulp in an old BIAB bag & that goes into the press.

It might be helpful to acquire apples from other different varieties (including crab apples) if you can get them easily. I scrump extras from a local community orchard that nobody seems to use much.

I prewash the apples in sodium metabisulphate solution & then rinse before use to discourage nasties, as a fair proportion are wind falls. It works as the water is pretty mucky. Use spare plastic FV or plastic stacking boxes to do this.

Back