Beers similar to Old Peculier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpbl68

Reaction score
I've recently developed a taste for Theakston's Old Peculier but none of the pubs near me sell it. Are there any other beers with a similar flavour?

Have you tried your local s-market...Tesco have it where we live...it's a well know beer...there are recipes for Old P..I did a clone years ago and it was close enough for me and friends who drank Old P.

If you don't want to go AG..find a recipe and convert to extract. :thumb:

jpbl68 said:
I've recently developed a taste for Theakston's Old Peculier but none of the pubs near me sell it. Are there any other beers with a similar flavour?

Not sure I understand the question.

other beers you can buy in a pub? other beers you can homebrew?

well, these can be purchased at a supermarket, are along similar lines and are ok:

wychwood - goliath
wychwood - hobgoblins
shepeards neame - bishops finger
black sheep - black sheep bitter

but you will really need to brew your own version if you want to enjoy it regularly.

robsan77 said:

Sorry, I'm after recommendations for similar beers that I might be able to find in pubs.

There are plenty of shops near me that sell Old Peculier but none of my local pubs do. I'd like to be able to drink something similar to OP when I go out to the pub so I'm in need of recommendations for beers with a similar flavour. Does that make more sense?

Excellent. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

jpbl68 said:
robsan77 said:

Sorry, I'm after recommendations for similar beers that I might be able to find in pubs.

There are plenty of shops near me that sell Old Peculier but none of my local pubs do. I'd like to be able to drink something similar to OP when I go out to the pub so I'm in need of recommendations for beers with a similar flavour. Does that make more sense?

Kind of, but Old Peculiar is quite a specific beer with failry distinctive flavours. It really depends on what beers your pubs have - it'd be better if you could provide a list of beers they have on tap and we can try and recommend some.

When I started getting into real ale, I'd just start at one end of the pumps and work my way along! :drink:

Ceejay said:
When I started getting into real ale, I'd just start at one end of the pumps and work my way along! :drink:
:lol:

Beers available at my local pubs (not including lagers):

Young's Bitter
Young's Special
Bombadier
Spitfire
Well's Banana Bread Beer
Honey Dew
London Pride
Discovery
ESB
Chiswick
Bengal Lancer
HSB
Black Sheep Ale
Newcastle Brown Ale (bottled)
Golden Pride (bottled)
London Porter (bottled)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

That's a fair list, and some great beers in there. If you like Old Peculiar i'd go for the following - not necessarily because they taste like OP, but because they're bloody tasty! I'm guessing you have a Fullers pub and a Youngs pub near you then; do you live in London by any chance?

IIRC OP is quite fruity, rich and warming.

London Pride - this could be considered a good benchmark for a "Premium Bitter", it's cleaner and more zingy than OP but really well balanced
Discovery - nice light golden ale, good in the summer
ESB - delicious, dark and strong. Well hopped for such a dark beer - if you like OP, you'll like this
Chiswick - My favourite Fullers beer, a nice light session Best Bitter, nicely hopped if you like that .
Bengal Lancer - sort of an Imperial IPA - tonnes of hops!
HSB - A bit lighter and slightly spicier taste to ESB
Black Sheep Ale - Same brewery, probably a bit drier and more hoppy than OP

Hope that helps! :thumb:

You'll notice I haven't mentioned any of the Wells or Youngs ones. I don't like them personally but I'm sure someone will be able to give an alternative opinion!

Ceejay said:
I'm guessing you have a Fullers pub and a Youngs pub near you then; do you live in London by any chance?
I do, how on earth did you guess? :grin:

Next time I'm at the pub I'll try ESB and HSB :thumb:

Chiswick - My favourite Fullers beer, a nice light session Best Bitter, nicely hopped if you like that.
I quite enjoy bottled Chiswick. Light enough to drink all night but still full of flavour. I've only tried draught Chiswick once and found it to be a tad dull. Other than that it's a lovely beer.

Adnams (one of my favourite breweries) Broadside is similar in style to OP, though for some reason it is far stronger in bottle than on draught.

If you're ever up on my side of the Border, look out for the likes of Broughton Old Jock, Belhaven 90/-, and Orkney Dark Island (though Dark Island seems a bit more stout-like of late).

Latest posts

Back