Beer getting worse over time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aazlad

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm fairly new to brewing so this is my first post.

So far I've brewed a Woodfordes Wherry and a Sundew kit. I did everything as per the instructions including careful sanitisation and rinsing etc. The only thing I did differently was to leave fermentation running for two weeks based on what have read on forums such as this. The final SG was 1014 and 1012 respectively.

Prior to siphoning the beer to easykegs both tasted like beer with no strange sweetness or after taste. After 4 weeks of patience the Wherry was great but with a slight strange metallic taste (similar to Boddies creamflow). After 6 weeks it's still enjoyable but has a slightly sweet twang and similar odour.

At the weekend I also tried the Sundew (after 3 weeks conditioning). This has a very noticeable sweet aftertaste twang and is not particularly pleasant with a similar odour.

Last week I kegged my third brew, a muntons premium gold smugglers. Again on kegging the beer it tasted pretty good, but after only a week in the keg it also has a very slight aftertaste. This time I used a standard pssure barrel.

I've Ben using tap water after a few pals who live in the same village said the water was fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause of the strange taste that develops in the keg?

hi and welcome , at what temps did you brew , off flavours can be fermented if temp is a little too high when brewed , best temp to brew is often around 18c depending on what yeasts are used , beer brewed above 22c can have different types of off tastes .

Air temperature in the room was typically between 18 and 20c however the strip thermometer on the fermenter did get up to 22c on occasions. That may be the problem. Unfortunately the garage I store he kegs in during conditioning doesn't get much cooler than 18c at this time of year.

After a bit of research it may be acetaldehyde as it does have a slight apple like taste.

Drinking a pint of the Sundew now and it tastes much better than at the weekend-but I'll drink almost anything. Probably because it's slightly cooler.

On the off chance it's not temperature, how do you clean out your syphon equipment?

It's the one common element to all three brews, after the FV, so worth a look maybe?

I soaked the siphon and other equipment in VWP for 10 mins making sure I drew the fluid through the siphon. Maybe I need to be more thorough with the cleaning process. I'm sure I'll crack it soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back