Batch priming method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm usually a kit man and have been bottling my brews by priming the bottles individually.

For this brew - Woodforde Nelson ale - I thought I'd try batch priming.

The Brewers Friend for beer priming sugar calculator is great.
I can now calculate how much sugar needs to go into my 20 liters.

I have just racked once after 8 days when the SG has dropped from 1044 to 1004, leaving a nice layer of sediment behind.
I plan to rack again into a bucket that has a tap I attach to a bottling wand. It's into this bucket that I plan to add the sugar for batch priming.

( Is this second rack good/bad idea? )

Is there anything I should be aware of when adding the sugar to make sure it's fully dissolved and mixed thoroughly?

I'm aware that less is best when priming; don't want any burst bottles. asad.
Thanks folks

Calculate how much you need for your level or carbonation and dissolve it in some hot water prior to putting it into your bucket. I've done this before and never had an issue. Others might have a different way. I usually go around 120g of dextrose in 200ml of hot water.

I've always gone straight into the beer with it but I might rack into a second bucket for my next brew, and if I do, it'll be going in first and then the beer will mix in with it when it's transferring from one bucket to the next.

As @ale_crowe_holic says I have done this many times, I dissolve the sugar in boiling water and then heat for 10/15 min on hob just to boil off any nasties. Then allow to cool (covered) before adding it to a pressure barrel (I use it as a bottling bucked) have added it first then beer on top or added it after beer and neither seems.to.make any difference, just give it 10 min or so to mix.

Just remember to mix the sugar well with the beer (as I learned the hard way). Easiest way I’ve found is to add the sugar solution to the bottling bucket before siphoning in the beer. If you don’t mix well, your carbonation will be different every bottle.

Pretty much been covered above but I've done this many times. So much easier than adding half a tsp to every bottle you intend to fill.

I siphon out of the fermenting bucket into a sterilised / sanitised bottling bucket which has a tap on the bottom to which a bottling wand will attach. I then add the priming sugar which I've previously dissolved in a little boiling water and allowed to cool a bit. Give it all a gentle stir to distribute, but don't go mad as you're trying to not add oxygen to the end product now. Then bottle away...

Latest posts

Back