Are cornies any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you take on the responsibility of owning a corny or 2, you really need to keep them in their natural habitat to get the best out of them :whistle: :P :lol:

CIMG0890300x400.jpg

Thats very nice V :thumb:

They look like the taps Norm sells, but did you get that large drip tray from

you really need to keep them in their natural habitat

V, what are you trying to do to us. :lol: ......................... absolutely first rate :D :clap: :clap:

My conies are in hibernation at the moment, although will be contacting Norm shortly to get them piped up properly. I am tending to bottle brews at the moment, as it tends to help with rationing, not that I'm short of supplies ;) but that type of set up could give me problems. :nono: :lol: Its not in your kitchen is it. :party: :lol:

Have you documented the build somewhere, by the way ;)

:drink:

My conies are in hibernation at the moment
:lol:
but that type of set up could give me problems
It does....like...what shall I have next :hmm: :lol: :drink:
Its not in your kitchen is it.
Nah, it's in the back bedroom :lol: ...just in case one needs to lie down whilst deciding what to have next :drink:
I might have, can't remember :hmm:

Little thread bump.

I will be going down the corny/kegerator route as soon as money allows.

My question is: The time the beer spends in the bottle/pressure keg conditioning and then somewhere cool for a few weeks is to allow the flavours to develop and C02 to get into the beer correct?

So using the corny/C02 tank bypasses the need to wait for the fizz but what about flavours to develop? Do you guys rack into the corny after fermenation, carb but then give the beer time to develop or just drink straight away?

Many Thanks

im really interested in getting a corny keg. can someone advise roughly how much it would be for norm to set us up with everything to get started. does his set up include a 'gun' to dispense the beer with? how would you go about setting it up with a tap?
do you think its worth getting one to put beer kits in? I can imagine it must be so cool to pour your AG beer from a tap but dont know if the kit beers will be any good served from them?

abeyptfc said:
I can imagine it must be so cool to pour your AG beer from a tap but dont know if the kit beers will be any good served from them?
Beer is beer, Taps are Taps, and Kegs are kegs. If your (kit) beer tastes good in a plastic keg, it will taste the same from a corny dispensed through a bar font

just another question or 2,
1) if my kit beer isnt as clear as I would like it to be, will it naturally clear in the keg? ive tried using finings once or twice in my kits but it doesnt seem to make much difference to be honest the beers are still a bit hazy.

2)i was reading a bit on the internet saying to add finings or gelatin into the keg then carbonate and after 2-3 glasses it should run clear after a few days resting? if i did that how much gelatin would i add for 19L of beer, and would i have to stir that in before sealing the keg or will the pressure in the keg mix it in with the beer?
cheers,

I don't use gelatin in mine because a friends Veggie. So I just leave it to drop on its own, first cloudy pint is thrown then its usually very clear after six weeks in a cool place

Had an email off Norm and he is localish to me :) so will be picking up 2 of his cornies off him as soon as i sort it out :)

Aint even got the brewery sorted yet, lol

Oakey22 said:
Had an email off Norm and he is localish to me :) so will be picking up 2 of his cornies off him as soon as i sort it out :)

Aint even got the brewery sorted yet, lol

its bloody dear eh!
19 litre corny, gas bottle, regulators, pumps and a plastic tap delivered for £139 or £104 without the gas cylinder. u must have a wee cheeky £200 odd quid lying around to buy 2 kegs.

Talking of Norm, anyone know the size of pipes/tubes he supplies with the kegs? I bought two but just wondered.

I think its 3/16

Back