Anybody a foster parent?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
I stopped brewing a couple of years ago. I've been thinking of starting up again on a smaller scale than before. The thing is me and the wife are soon to apply to be foster parents and she is worried that homebrewing will hurt our application. If it will I will obviously put it on hold. I know it's a long shot but are any of you guys foster parents?

That would be helpful, especially if they know of anyone that has had a similar experience

While i cannot help with your question i would like to add i used to work with a bloke that fostered many kids (with his wife) and he was very proud of the fact so :hat: to you both.

Surely it will be ok if it's done away from the kids. Just like have some cans from the shop in the gouse

As chippy said, I also work with two different people who are foster parents. And I admire them both for doing so.

So good luck to you and hope someone can give you some advice.

Don't know how to do the hats off emoji. But all the same. ;-)

Yeh I doubt there are any official rules about it but obviously if the child comes from a background where alchohol was an issue with the parents it may be frowned upon? I barley drink anymore to be honest I just miss brewing on occasion. I like the idea of doing a few biab sessions a year, I'll probably share them out with friends mostly.

FWIW, my sister thinks it would be fine. They do look at your whole situation in the round. In a similar vein, she was concerned that she was working full time when they were applying (and still is for the next few weeks). Thats one thing they generally aren't keen on but they took that into account and overall it wasn't a problem. It's probably worth pointing out every authority will be different but I would say ask early and you'll be able to work out a good path through it. :)

Yeh I doubt there are any official rules about it but obviously if the child comes from a background where alchohol was an issue with the parents it may be frowned upon? I barley drink anymore to be honest I just miss brewing on occasion. I like the idea of doing a few biab sessions a year, I'll probably share them out with friends mostly.
That's exactly it - they don't need you to be tee-total, but just sensitive to the potential background of the children coming in to your home.

Latest posts

Back