Any tips on making an Immersion chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
I'll be buying the copper needed from Wickes during the week and hopefully making next Saturday or Sunday. I have a couple of 10mm to 15mm connections, Just worried about kinking the tubing that comes in a coil.

I plan to wrap it around a paint tin to get the correct diameter, any wise words

:cheers: Sean

Paint tin might be awkward, to short!! :hmm:
I think lots of THBF members use large co2 cylinders, or fire extingushers....they're both tall and solid to work with!! :whistle:
When doing it, take your time and go with the original curve of the copper coil..
Good Luck!! :thumb:

That makes sense BB, never thought of using the cylinder I bought off Norm, I was just thinking of getting a smaller diameter, but see how coiling around the old Chubb cylinder would work better.
Thanks

I kinked mine like a ****! straightened it and didnt touch that part again. The 10mm is really easy to manipulate tho. Just be careful on the hanging parts, thats the bit I f'ed. But it works great.

just work slowly and with care, and you will find it easy enough, 10mm is easier than 15mm cos at least it comes in a roll.

if you have a corny turn it upside down push and end through the handle and wind around the body, very easy to do.

UP

Yup same as UP slowly and little small bends in short order, dont try and wrap a foot of it work on an inch at a time.

hmm i never thought of the whole laminar vs turbulent flow. guess that would affect the cooling process slightly. would be good to make 2 and test side by side to see if its worthwhile... if only i had the money to make two.

Couldn't wait and started to build my IC this afternoon, and by no description is it a thing of beauty :grin: .
I took Uncle Pumbles good advice and used an empty corny, turned upside down and carefully wrapped the copper around. All worked fine until I hit u-bends for the 10mm to 15mm connectors and had a couple of slight kinks, no real problem though, just think I need some copper wire to tie it together or a few spots of solder

So thought I better test it :D . AG#5
4kg of pale malt
0.5 crystal malt

45g Fuggles for 90min
30g Goldings for 15min
20g Cascade for 15min
Irish moss

Mashed whilst out having a family meal.......way over 90min (shrug shoulders smilie)
Back to topic, Cooler dropped the temp from boil 104c to 24c in 15min, water coming out of the tap was 4.5c.
Hit OG of 1052 and added s04
Nice to have warm water when cleaning up as I saved the first runnings of the cooler and it saves nearly half hour standing around in the cold

Sorry no pics as I was to busy trying to get a signal on the TV to watch the rugby :(
Sean

Hi all,

If you get a coiled spring pipe bender from B&Q for about a fiver I think, you slide this over the pipe whilst bending, prevents kinking and allows tighter bends to be made. Looks like you've already done the job anyway.

I've a few kinks in the last 12inches where I bent it to hook over the boiler.
A friend have one of those spring pipe benders, think I'll lent it and rework the end. :thumb:

Sean

Latest posts

Back