Any Cornwall Scrumpy Brewers About?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanGan

Reaction score
I'm currently touring Cornwall in my campervan. Are farmers still allowed to brew and sell something like 1000 ltr of cider a year without licence? Real Scrumpy...brewed in the hay barn....sold in recycled milk jugs....with lots of bits floating in it? All I'm seeing is crystal clear mass produced filtered "craft" ciders sold for silly money...after paying silly money to tour the "farm". Has health and safety and hygeane put a stop to this tradition?

Yes they can, but it may be 500 litres. One of my favourite stops is Dulverton, which isn't Cornwall but try Woods, a lovely pub that does amazing food. The owner is a farmer that has a cider press. Ask him for a pint of his scrumpy, one will be more than enough. Dulverton has a lovely camp site right in the middle of the village.

Sheppy's ciders do look very nice indeed but not something I couldn't get in my local Tesco's at home. I'm sure they brew more than 500 ltr a year?
I am hopeing to come across the home brew farmer for the genuine stuff that I wouldn't find in Tesco's because of all the lumpy bits. I think I know where to find him now.:smile:

Let us know what you find. I'm occasionally down that neck of the woods to visit SWMBO's family, and this might just sweeten the prospect.

Latest posts

Back