Antiformin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
As part of yesterday's haul I have around 5 litres of Antiformin ‘S’.

I can read that it removes dirt, kills bacteria, doesn't foam, is easy to use and can be diluted with hot or cold water, but the printing on the drum is faded and scuffed. The hazard label is intact and fully legible; corrosive, causes severe burns, wear gloves, don't let the kids play with it, etc.

What's it for?
How do I use it?
What dilution rate?

I suppose I should have googled it in the first place :oops:

Thanks Growler :cheers:

Y :thumb: ou'll love it when you get use to using it Moley
I have just moved over to oxy and videne, wondering if I am missing out here :?
S

Antiformin - S is a chlorinated caustic (ie bleach) cleanser/sanitiser with added sequesterants and safe (when diluted) to use on stainless steel. Dilute 1:100 with water up to 40C the chlorine is still effective . . . above 40C the chlorine gasses off but the caustic remains very effective and will shift all organic residues. . . . .

. . . . And now for the downside . . . undiluted it will seriously screw up your skin . . . if you get it on your skin wash it off immediately with plenty of water . . . or even some acidified water . . . even if you think you have rinsed it it will continue working (dissolving your flesh) . . . and even then you may find that you develop some post trauma skin conditions . . . eczema being one.

The dilute solution is not as bad but still rinse, rinse, and rinse again . . . I've found having a litre of water to which I've added 10ml of vinegar standing by really effective at neutralising the caustic . . . . but still have to treat the contact dermatitis when it flares up (normally after brewing sessions for some reason)

Don't let my warnings put you off using it, it is fantastic, but like all corrosive chemicals treat with care and respect for what it can do.

Thanks folks, those cornies seem to be cleaning up nicely so far, I've tried a few with Oxy and a couple with Antiformin and they both seem to do the same job, as far as cleaning is concerned.

Am I right in thinking that Antiformin is good-to-go (after rinsing) whereas Oxy still needs a bug killer?

Aleman: Warnings noted :thumb:

Moley said:
Am I right in thinking that Antiformin is good-to-go (after rinsing) whereas Oxy still needs a bug killer?
Yep . . . and with the sequesterants it rinses fairly easily . . . Personally though I rinse and then use a no rinse sanitiser . . . just cause I'm paranoid :lol:

Aleman said:
Antiformin - S is a chlorinated caustic (ie bleach) cleanser/sanitiser with added sequesterants and safe (when diluted) to use on stainless steel. Dilute 1:100 with water up to 40C the chlorine is still effective . . . above 40C the chlorine gasses off but the caustic remains very effective and will shift all organic residues.
Ok, I've just done another five cornies, which I have to say were pretty riffy. That stuff is incredible.

Is there a maximum contact time or is it safe to keep a corny full long-term, provided it's well labelled, and use it as a beer line or other equipment cleaner?

Contact time is 20 minutes . . . . Although I've had some sat in cornii for months with no problems . . . it's not best practice though . .. I think you can get away with it because the antiformin is not 'thickened' with sodium chloride like domestic bleaches are. it is the sodium chloride that causes chloride pitting to occur which then allows the chlorine to attack the stainless steel. (Basically deposits of sodium chloride form at the interface of the air/liquid. this is immensely concentrated and breaks the passivation layer . . . then the chlorine goes to work).

I certainly use it as BLC . . . recirculating it round the lines with a pump . . . and also have a PET bottle with a carbonator cap for more frequent flushing of the lines.

Thanks Tony, that's just the sort of information I was looking for. :cheers:

If you do find something really Fux up your skin, get some Body Shop Hemp cream... Keeps my hands alright and I have a mix of Caustic and Peracetic Acid 5 days a week (Though I do wear gloves to keep off the most of it).

Just got some of this myself. Agree it is awesome stuff. I understand a 1pc solution will keep for a while and can be reused. Would keeping it in a pet bottle for a few days be OK or would it eat through the pet?

Latest posts

Back