And another Newbie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been considering getting into homebrew for a while and finally took the plunge - basic set-up with the fermenter bucket and started with a Muntons Flagship Kolsch kit (enjoyed that when in Germany for the Euros... - minus the football 🙈).

Literally started today, even have a thermostat heat pad but as yet, the temperature is still 4 degrees over the ideal pitch temp (read from the temperature probe on the outside of the bucket)... been a fair few hours so not sure as the room it is in ain't warm. Hopefully, be sorted and get pitched tonight.

Had a look over the forums/YouTube so hopefully on the right track, first one so be interesting to see how this turns out... once bottled, I fancy trying a Mangrove Jacks Cider!

A few little queries though...
- once fermentation is done, is it recommended to Cold Crash for a couple of days (will literally be left outside or in the shed but not below freezing - possibly covered slightly) before straight to bottling?
- Also, is it worth adding a gelatine to get a clearer product? (Personally would prefer it cleared, especially when sharing with mates).
- Once bottled, it is recommended 2 weeks or so before good to go... is that a little too quick?

Apologies but new and dived in head first.

Cheers

Welcome, personally I would keep it simple at this stage and miss the cold crash..
Never used gelatine soz.
Two weeks at fermentation temp in bottles will get secondary fermentation done. Feel free to try then but if you can put them somewhere cold for another two weeks it will make a big difference

A few little queries though...
- once fermentation is done, is it recommended to Cold Crash for a couple of days (will literally be left outside or in the shed but not below freezing - possibly covered slightly) before straight to bottling?
- Also, is it worth adding a gelatine to get a clearer product? (Personally would prefer it cleared, especially when sharing with mates).
- Once bottled, it is recommended 2 weeks or so before good to go... is that a little too quick?

Apologies but new and dived in head first.
I wouldn't bother with the cold crash, either. Just leave the beer a bit longer in the fermenter until it's at least cloudy rather than muddy.
I used to use gelatine when I had pressure barrels. Stopped using it when I saw that the beer cleared just as well without it.
Don't use fining in bottled beer. It'll stop the yeast from forming a hard deposit in the bottom of the bottle. The beer will look lovely in the bottle, but it'll be almost impossible to pour a clear pint. The beer should clear naturally in the bottle anyway.

Latest posts

Back