Amber ale (3rd brew)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macsrevenge

Reaction score
just got the lastest brew in the fermenter. Recipe for amber ale in the "bible" I have been using up until now (How to Brew). Made it with a mate keen to get into brewing himself. Just waiting for the bubbling to start :) no name for this effort yet, maybe it will develop some character over the next few days.

20 litres

2x 1.5 Brupaks pale malt extract
1kg EBC 60 Crystal Malt

60 min hops - Centennial - 17 IBU
30 min hops - Mt Hood - 18 IBU
15 min hops - Williamette - 8 IBU

Safeale S05

Enjoying playing around with the different hops, all the types I have used so far have their own unique qualities.

Despite not having to mash my last couple of brews have not met the expected OG - the recipies suggests 1.055, I am getting closer to 1.045 using a hygrometer even adjusting for temperature :wha: any suggestions why this is happening?

Great that you got a brew in :thumb:

Have you check that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly ?

Cheers, didn't ever think to check the calibration! Seems to be calibrated OK though, reads 1.002 in water at 15 degrees. Might try a different meter next time.
Things are bubbling away steadily now, that sound makes me happy :cheers:

It could be that How to brew being American you are using a UK Gallon and the recipe is for a US Gallon . .

UK Gallon is 4.55L
US Gallon is 3.875

Aleman said:
It could be that How to brew being American you are using a UK Gallon and the recipe is for a US Gallon . .

UK Gallon is 4.55L
US Gallon is 3.875

Well spotted Aleman. That sounds exactly the problem if you run the figures through.

Nope I had spotted the ol' US and UK gallon problem and reduced the brew volume accordingly (19.3 litres). I am starting to think that the wort left behind when leaving the trub and hops accounts for some of the lost gravity points as I have been diluting up to the full recipe volume.

Anyway, here is a picture of my brewing area. It's all the wife allows me. I long for the days I have space for a shed.

going to be called "eye boobies" amber ale. The muslin bags of speciality grain reminded us of a joe cartoon sketch (gerbil in a light fitting). Immature but fun, and its what it tastes like that counts :drink:

3460976574_052f81fc41.jpg

Well done for fitting the brewing in :cool:

Sometimes it can be like the great escape - walking around the garden dropping spent grains through holes in your pockets down the trouser leg. :lol:

My yeast are still happily munching away. My last two brews were in buckets so couldn't see what was going on. This time with the glass I can keep a closer eye on the little beasties at work (like sea monkeys only better) and have noticed something a bit strange. The krausen rises to the neck of the bottle at times and then falls right back to around 1 inch. The temp over the last few days in the cupboard has been a steady 19 degrees.

Why is this happening? Do yeast need to sleep and if so do all several million/billion have to do so at once? :hmm:

I think I have had one too many! :drunk:

:lol: :lol:

Can't answer the question but agree that Sea Monkeys are ace :cool:

Latest posts

Back