Airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthur

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before. Just finished making my first batch of tc following oldblokes how to. I've fitted the air locks to the dj's and tried to fill with water however I only have 2 bubbles filled at 1 side and 1 on the other with 1 of them and only 1 bubble at each side with the other. Trying to put any more water in and it just over flows at the top. Is this what should happen or am I doing something wrong? I already have them attached to the bung and the bung is in the bottle.

Also, in regards to the red caps on them, do these just sit on the top or should they be snapped on or on at all?

Thanks

As long as there is water on both sides then they should be fine. The amount of water on each side will vary anyway when the brew gives off CO2.

Have you put any favouring into it or just leaving it as apple TC?

As long as the U bend is covered it'll do it's job.
Personally I keep the caps pressed on, it doesn't stop CO2 getting out, but it does stop stuff dropping into the airlock and also being pressed on stops it from falling off, but it's up to you really.

garthur said:
Sorry if this has been asked before. Just finished making my first batch of tc following oldblokes how to. I've fitted the air locks to the dj's and tried to fill with water however I only have 2 bubbles filled at 1 side and 1 on the other with 1 of them and only 1 bubble at each side with the other. Trying to put any more water in and it just over flows at the top. Is this what should happen or am I doing something wrong? I already have them attached to the bung and the bung is in the bottle.

Also, in regards to the red caps on them, do these just sit on the top or should they be snapped on or on at all?

Thanks

I find it best to just fill the first "bubble" on each side then when CO2 starts to go through the airlock you will end up with the U bend full and two bubbles on the side where the open end is, the advantage in only having two full is if you make something like an orange WOW the vigorous fermentation will not blow water out of the top of the airlock as mine did the first time i made one.

Chippy_Tea said:
I find it best to just fill the first "bubble" on each side

That's what I do, too. 1 or 1anarf bubbles each side.
Any more and there's a chance it either gets blown out to the outside world or the fallback after releasing some CO2 could induce a bit of splashover from the lockwater into the brew

Thanks. The u bend has water in it and 1 end is now full of water while the other is empty. The end on the way out the bottle is the end that is full so I'm guessing everything is ok. It's been bubbling away all day and sounds awesome. Also getting the odd gingery smell every now and then which is good.

Oh, yeh, 1 or 1anarf filled when it's not fitted - once it's fitted the CO2 pushes it all to the outlet side.

Latest posts

Back