Airlock question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukulele Kris

Reaction score
I have a question regarding air locks.

The kit I got, didn't come with an airlock, or a hole in the lid to put an airlock.

I know I can just open the lid slightly to let the gas out, but I'm not really keen on doing that, and would rather go for the more sanitary airlock method. Would it be a simple enough job to just cut a hole? (how do you even go about cutting a perfectly circular hole)

Or, should I not worry so much, put some muslin over it to stop any bits of dust getting in the gap and get on with my bloody beer?

you dont need a bubler, snap the lid on tight, it will bulge up a lil but the excess co2 will escape.

there is something therapeutic about the regular little glug of the beer airlock in the background and its a useful indicator the fermentation has started or stopped but its not necessary.

dont open it up to have a look at all, one stray hair can ruin a batch.. as said the lid will dome up a bit( might take a day or 2 to start..), if you push it back down you will vent off the excess gas, when it hasnt domed back up after a couple of days, thats your indicator the fermentation is over and its time to bottle/keg :)

you might be the lucky owner of a farting bucket, one that lets rip like a fart when the gas vents, rare but fun,, most are silent tho :(

Is the kit a Coopers one ? " the farting bucket ! " if so no air lock is required, the design of the fv allows co2 to escape. Its rather good and you can see inside without lifting the lid off.
I'm on brew 25 and stopped using air locks after brew 3. On a normal bucket fermenter I leave one side of the lid loose. Never had a problem.

i use a fish tank thermometer with a probe that i have inside the fv (to get best correct temp of brew) and i have a tiny little slit (around 1mm) under the lip of the fv where the lid clicks shut , so this means the airlock no longer works and all is well , haven't heard a bubble for months

Ukulele Kris said:
how do you even go about cutting a perfectly circular hole?
A drill is usually a good bet.

Fil said:
...when it hasnt domed back up after a couple of days, thats your indicator the fermentation is over and its time to bottle/keg :)
An indicator maybe, but not a good indicator. A hydrometer is the only sound method for confirming that fermentation has finished.

It's a Milestone Brewery kit.

So the gases will just find an escape anyway, and I shouldn't worry too much. Is that right?

(I really am paranoid about doing anything wrong, hence why I've not even started it yet)

Depending on how air tight your FV is you could just rest the lid on top, i.e. don't snap it down, or at least not all the way round. It's only real use is to keep stuff from falling in and to keep any fruit flies at bay.

In essence, don't worry about it. Your time will be better spent worrying about sanitising everything thoroughly beforehand.

In over 30 years of brewing I have never used an air lock, I always have the lid loose and take lid off to rouse with certain yeast. In all that time I have never lost a brew as of result of these actions.

If you really want an airlock the easiest way is to buy some of those little rubber grommet things off ebay rather than trying to cut a hole to fit a bung. With the grommets you just need an appropriate drill bit and then you force the slightly larger grommet into the hole and that grips the airlock. These are used on some of the commercial buckets and a lot of the HBS's on Ebay sell little packs of replacements for a couple of quid (Some even tell you which size drill bit to use so look out for those, makes life so much easier!) Just converted a catering supplies bucket (I think it previously contained dried onion powder) which I picked up for a couple of pounds. Works a treat!

I used to use the 'lid cracked open a smidgen' method until one day the little simdgen wasnt enough. The lid blew off and the dust from the old blanket covering it infected the brew. Always used an airlock since then..........

Ukulele Kris said:
^ That's not worrying at all ;)

it shouldnt put you off, if anything learn the lesson that dusty old blankets are not a good insulation choice. clean blankets get the thumbs up tho.

its not that big a deal more like the choice between a straight glass and a handle
some go one way others go the other way..

sooner you start.... :) just dont believe the kit when it says ready to drink in X days, double X and then try a pint being prepared to wait at least another X days, also stick hlf a dozen bottls by for christmass it will be nectar by then

Latest posts

Back