AG#4 (a few problems)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdiscobreakin

Reaction score
Hi all, not posted for a while.
Brewed the below a couple of weeks ago:

3.43kg Maris Otter
50 g Black Malt
35 g Fuggles start of boil
10 g Fuggles 10 min
10 g Fuggles flame out

Simple recipe designed to test my kit get my efficiencies sorted, and hopefully to taste nice obviously!

I used about 10g gypsum for the first time.

I used US05 yeast re-hydrated as per Graham Wheeler instructions in Brew Your Own.

I measured an OG of 1042 and a FG after 12 days of 1014 (aiming for (1010). However I tested my hydrometer in tap water at 20 degrees and it measured 1004! On the basis I don't know whether it was always off, or if not when it went off I have no idea what my mash efficiency is! I'll know to subtract 4 from any readings from now on! (or buy a new hydrometer and check it straight away and check prior to and during future brews).

I'm pretty sure I mash slightly to high (after 90 mins temp at 68 degrees. I'm looking for a little less body and more fermentables.

I transferred into the secondary after 12 days ( a week ago) and it has been in the garage at a cool temperature, looked tonight and it has not cleared. I have used US05 for my first brew before and had this problem but put it down to it being my first brew. I have used SAF04 and Wyeyeast 1098 since and had no problem with clarity.

Has anyone else struggled with clarity from US05 or do i need to look at my re-hydration technique? or anything else?

Cheers

Jon

I also do this with most my brews. Especially with US05. Really clear in the bottle after a couple of weeks. Just be careful when pouring :thumb:

You mentioned a 90 min mash ending at 68c and wanted less body with more fermentables , you will get more body and less fermentables at that temp . 64c for 90 mins is more what you would of wanted to get the above .

cheers guys - looks like US05 can be a pain to clear judging by responses and a quick google search.

I don't have the facility to crash cool, other than the garage which whilst cooler than the house, now we're in spring certainly not 1 degree!

Pittsy - cheers, that's what I meant, i.e. I had been mashing too high and that I need to mash at a lower temp in future to get my desired body/fermetables.

Hey, I'm new to this and whilst it doesn't always go to plan it's usually drinkable!

Another question...my mash tun is the insulated bucket in a bucket type. I usually dough in at 2.5L per kg of grain, however due to the height my inner bucket sits on the outer bucket I require a further 5L of water at the bottom. Therefore whilst most would used say 10L of water for 4KG grain I have to use 15L just to be able to mix the grain at the right ratio. Does anyone else use the bucket in a bucket MT, could the additional water effect mash efficiency?

Cheer again

Jon

Latest posts

Back