AG#1 80/-: the brewday has landed( continued)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevander74

Regular.
Reaction score
Now that Ive turned to the dark side, is my overconfidence my weakness? Could be.
I started this morning at 8 oclock, having already measured out the grains last night. I filled the HLT/boiler and brought the water up to a strike temp of 77degreesC (mash temp + 10), I added the water to the grain in the mashtun by underletting(?) to reduce the chances of doughballs, and it worked, gave it a good stir and took a temp reading. 73c! too damn hot so i added some cold water and brought the temp down to 70c. This was still too hot but i didnt know if adding too much water would be a bigger problem so i went ahead anyway and ill see how it turns out. What does mashing at too high a temp do to the beer?
everything else went fine until during the boil, on only one element, the element decided to fail. I simply put the other element on and the boil continued. I thought the fuse had blown so i changed it and it didnt make a difference. Once the brew was complete and id cleaned the boiler i noticed a burnt mark on the element, but when i plugged it in to try it it worked again. :wha: I can only assume this element carrier thingy bit (real technical term) has a bi-metallic switch in it. further investigation is required but i might just change the whole thing for another.

heres the pics. :D

The set up
DSC00279.jpg

Inside my lovely boiler :D
DSC00277.jpg

The grains
DSC00275.jpg

Doughing in
DSC00280.jpg

Sparging
DSC00286.jpg

First runnings
DSC00284.jpg

Oooh thats dark :D
DSC00287.jpg

Starting to boil
DSC00288.jpg

Hops Measured
DSC00283.jpg

Added and boiling
DSC00290.jpg

And what do you do while the boil is on?
you turn this:
DSC00291.jpg

Into this :D
DSC00297.jpg

boil complete and collecting wort
DSC00293.jpg

A full 23L FV :thumb:
DSC00294.jpg

Which left this
DSC00295.jpg

The burnt element. You can see the black mark in the middle :(
DSC00298.jpg

Now all i need to do is leave it to cool (cause i dont have a chiller yet) and pitch the yeast tomorrow.
I hope it turns out ok but i think ive had a good first attempt.

Welcome to the darkside.

See it was that bad after all. Looks like you had a great day. Well done :thumb: :thumb:

Oh I want to try AG by the end of the year, how much did that set up cost you? And how have you found your first experience so far?

Check whether the element has a 'safety cut out' built into its wiring.

As far as mashing at 70C, you are likely to have fewer fermentables, so your beer will be fuller-bodied and sweeter than you originally intended - and that doesn't necessarily make for a bad beer.

nice to see how easy you make it look can not wait till all my items here then sweet talk some body to help build my pid unit so sweet can not wait for my first brews :cheers:

Nice one mate :thumb: and welcome to the Dark Side :twisted:
Good work with your sparging arm, I must make myself one of those next.... and also good effort multi-tasking and brewing your fruity beverages while the boil was on :clap:

Well done.

If those are kettle elements then yes there is a bi-metallic switch you need to doctor. I wouldn't worry too much about the black bit of your element, I get that on mine and you can clean it off. I've always assumed it was the hottest part off the element and either hops or wort scorched on it.

Taz, the sparge arm holes are 1.5mm cause that was the smallest drill bit i had.
Keith, the main bi-metallic switch was removed, seems like a secondary emergency cut off switch in the carrier.

Thanks for all the comments guys :D

Welcome, welcome, the dark side is happy to have you young spargewater.

:thumb:

bottled the 80/- today :D
fg was 1008 but since i forgot to take a sg i have no idea how strong it is :roll:
looks good tho
DSC00302.jpg

nice colour but bit cloudy hope it clears
DSC00301.jpg

tastes good already :lol:
DSC00304.jpg

Dont know why but that second pic keeps coming out on its side so just deal with it people :lol:

Latest posts

Back