A good cheap Beer kit to start off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there can anyone recommend a good cheap beer kit to get started with am new to brewing beer, woudl be looking for something like a real ale...i quite like the idea of the Woodfordes wherry kit..are the ones from Wilkos any good??

The Wherry and all the 2 can kits are all pretty good, not tried the wilko ones. If you want a cheap kit the Coopers IPA kits are good and reasonable value too, just done one myself this afternoon
:cheers:

Anything from youngs is quite cheap, Ive brewed everything in the youngs range now and they were all good, the one I liked the least was the stout but it was ok, and the one I like most is between the bitter and the Scottish heavy

samnorfolk said:
cheers

where do you get the coopers ipa kits from please?

I get all my kits from my local home brew shop, but if there's not a shop nearby you can get them from one of the forum sponsors, have a look here
:cheers:

As much as I love the site sponsors - and they are excellent, I've just spend 80 quid with them.

I've found Brewgenie to be very good on price - particularly John Bull kits which are all 1.8Kg size which is important, the more fermentables the better. I've happily used them for the past 7 years while brewing kits.

They do not have a large selection of AG products.

http://www.brewgenie.co.uk/

I just looked at the Jon bulls on there and it's not a kick in rear off of the youngs kits but they are of a better quality I believe, not that there's anything wrong with youngs

Got to praise Wilko's Hoppy Copper brew kit, easy to do quick from start to first taste 14 days with top tap kingKeg.
Clear, crisp taste.....BUY IT TRY IT :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Keg 1;Hoppy Copper Bitter
Keg 2 Empty :(
Bottles; conditioning Olde Treacle Ale.

Got a copper english bitter and a John bull ale on the go at the moment and the John bull
Has a much fuller flavour. I find the coopers not quiet as satisfying. Also the John bull is a bit stronger around te 5.5 to 6% if u make 32 pint instead of 40.

I would stay with the 2 can kits. You usually have to add enhancer or something to the cheap kits and that's generally another £5. The two can kits are really worth it and you can get St Peters Red Ruby Ale for £19 from www.art-of-brewing.co.uk (£23.00 in my nearest HBS) ALso, if you spend £49 you get free postage.... the best deal I have seen on the net up to now (sorry sponsors). I have brewed the following 2 can kits several times and all have been really excellent:

St Peters RRA (my favourite)
Muntons Smugglers
Muntons IPA (6% version)
Woodfords Nelsons Revenge

good luck

excellent thanks for advice..ive seen Wherry Kit in wilkos for 18 quid so think i may give this a shot first!!

If you can get the Wherry for £18 then that is definitely a good one to start. But you will need to be patient. The instructions say it ferments in 4-6 days - it will take much longer than this. Make sure you use a hydrometer to check when it has really finished. Once you've bottled, give it at least a week somewhere warm to carbonate. It will then need 4 weeks or more to taste really good. At least that's what I've found.

The Wilko two can kits are now only £16 so I think they are worth trying too. Just like the Wherry they are made by Muntons (who also make the St Peters, Milestone and other kits) so the quality is likely to be comparable.

ok will do this will be my first attempt so no doubt i will be seeking advice!! :)

So far I've done a coppers Canadian Blonde with 1kg of brewing sugar, Better Brew Northern Brown ale with 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2 and a Wherry short brewed to 21l. And for me Wherry> Brown Ale> Canadian Blonde. The wherry needed more work, due to the dreaded stick but was the nicest, the quickest that could be drunk and even the smell from FV once finished bottling was the best

samnorfolk said:
Hi there can anyone recommend a good cheap beer kit to get started with am new to brewing beer, woudl be looking for something like a real ale...i quite like the idea of the Woodfordes wherry kit..are the ones from Wilkos any good??
Tescos online can get (when in stock) most of the coopers kits for under a tenner, just search home brewing on their website; they also deliver to your local tesco express for free.

Latest posts

Back