A clear brew?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to homebrewing so am pleased to join this forum.

Just a question...:smile:
I brewed American Amber Ale and being the impatient chap I am I started drinking it from the barrel just before 3 weeks of conditioning, it was still cloudy which Iput down to my eagerness! Left it another 2 weeks and it has cleared a bit.
I have a Festival Pilgrims hope in another barrel for 3 weeks and poured a small glass at it is similarly cloudy.
Question is: Is this normal? I have followed the instructions and reviewed advice on this forum. Me is thinking I'm too eager?

Cheers guys.

How long did you leave it in your fermenting vessel for?

The best thing for clearing beer is time and cold conditions, a lot of people "cold crash" (get the temp down to as close at 2c as possible) for between a day and a week after fermentation has finished before transferring to either bottles or barrels.

2+2+2 is the usual forumite advice given, two weeks fermenting, two weeks conditioning and two weeks cold crashing, this should give you a beer that is in good shape, some will however improve in taste/flavour over the next few months, if they survive that long :)

The American Amber Ale was a week in the FV then transferred to the barrel and left in the Utility Room.
The Pilgrims Hope was 10 days in the FV then transferred to the barrel and straight in the garage which is cooler (only just this summer!!).
Both times the FV had stopped bubbling and the SG was steady for 48 hours.

So, cold crash to 2 degC?!! I thought it was transferring the barrel to a cool place, or do you suggest moving the FV to a cool place before barreling?

Also, I have a batch of St Peters Honey Porter in the FV since Friday. It's bubbling away nicely!
Will the first stage of fermenting complete quicker in this warmer temperature? If the recommendation is 2 weeks fermenting I'm just concerned I'm being too quick in barelling my beer?

Fermentation is usually complete in only 2 - 5 days, the reason we leave it longer (2 weeks plus) is to let the yeast settle for clarity. Guidelines on kits are usually the quickest the beer will be ready but you will find out that your best beer will always be your last. Get a supply on now and then you can stash plenty away to mature.

When you barrel and prime with sugar, you start up the brewing process again (if only a little) so that will reintroduce trub into your barrel. Go for what Chewie says and cold crash if you can. If you've no space to cold crash then bottle some and put these in your fridge. You'll be able to compare.

As long as everything has been sterilised it will stay months in your FV with no harm.

Fermentation is usually complete in only 2 - 5 days, the reason we leave it longer (2 weeks plus) is to let the yeast settle for clarity.
I have never had a primary fermentation finished in 2 days. Some can take five days I agree. It's usually longer. The current Coopers Brew A IPA I have in one of my FVs was finished after nine days. The Youngs American kits take anywhere between 12 - 20 days in my experience.
Nonetheless for most normal gravity beers I would usually leave for about 14 days in the FV before moving on (unless of course they are still fermenting). This allows the beer to ferment out properly, a diactyl rest or yeast cleaning up after itself, and a majority of the yeast clearing from the brew.

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. I'll leave the Porter in the FV for longer so I'll be able to compare with what's currently in the barrel.
Think I'll need to buy another barrel as I'll be without anything to drink, that'll please the missus :lol::lol:

Tried fining your beer? A leaf of gelatine prepared as per instructions on the packet and dissolved with the priming sugar helps clear your beer. My King Keg generally clears in 4-5 days. I don't use it for bottled beers though, didn't like the results.

Since my last post I have read about fining agents, I just assumed I hadn't left it long enough and only needed what was in the kit!
It was my first batch. I'll pop into my LHBS at the weekend and see if they have any.
Cheers.

Since my last post I have read about fining agents, I just assumed I hadn't left it long enough and only needed what was in the kit!
It was my first batch. I'll pop into my LHBS at the weekend and see if they have any.
Cheers.

To be honest I have never used finnins, and have nice clear beer. it gets at least 2 weeks in the fv, at least 2 weeks to carb and then can sit for anything from 3-6 weeks in the cool prior to going into the fridge to chill prior to drinking.

Why add something when its not needed.. time and patience:thumb:

Cheers.

Just get Dr Oetker gelatine leaves from the supermarket.

edit: You don't need it, just makes a bit quicker

To be honest I have never used finnins, and have nice clear beer. it gets at least 2 weeks in the fv, at least 2 weeks to carb and then can sit for anything from 3-6 weeks in the cool prior to going into the fridge to chill prior to drinking.

Why add something when its not needed.. time and patience:thumb:

Ok, getting a theme here, I need to leave it more :smile:
Bloody tempting though not to start drinking it!
Swaying towards buying another barrel to get a lot stocked up :twisted:

Don't forget that the haze settles downwards which is where you start drawing the beer from with a pressure barrel. So either leave it longer to clear itself, or just carry on drinking until you get to the clear stuff. After all, it doesn't affect the taste.

I have never had a primary fermentation finished in 2 days. Some can take five days I agree. It's usually longer. The current Coopers Brew A IPA I have in one of my FVs was finished after nine days. The Youngs American kits take anywhere between 12 - 20 days in my experience.
Nonetheless for most normal gravity beers I would usually leave for about 14 days in the FV before moving on (unless of course they are still fermenting). This allows the beer to ferment out properly, a diactyl rest or yeast cleaning up after itself, and a majority of the yeast clearing from the brew.
I recently brewed an AG London pride clone with Fullers yeast cultured from Bengal lancer and that fermented out in 36 hours following an 8 hour lag. The krausen dropped like a lead balloon.

Every other yeast I've tried tho takes 3 - 10 days

No, but you were talking about primary fermentation. I usually leave for 2-3 weeks although primary is over within 4 days most of the time

Latest posts

Back