5ltr Keg and Dispenser *Newbie*

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawanrob

Reaction score
Hi I have always brewed small batch beers as I like to have different brews as a selection, as many people do I dread bottling days so I have made a plunge which I'm already regretting.

I purchased the 5l keg with dispenser and regulator from Geterbrewed, its arrived, no instructions no tubing from the tap to the keg for dispensing.

I was very naive and only now am I doubting my purchase, I wanted to force carb my beers but no idea if I can with this equipment, no idea the size of the tubing I need to fit to the dispenser, no dial on the regulator to easily view the co2 and struggled to buy food grade 16g co2 cartridge which I have now purchased from malt Miller, any advice would be appreciated for me to go forward, my beer is ready to package and I'm not ready to keg

Thanks in Advance

You limit responses by not being very specific about what you have. I've guessed and presume these?

https://www.geterbrewed.com/stainless-steel-mini-keg-dispensing-set-up-complete-with-regulator/

For which I can say: No worries, the "mini-keg" itself is pretty standard as they are made in China and sold by every man and his dog. And they are pretty good too, I've got two (plus a 2L one, they come in 3.6L and even 10L sizes too). The taps don't need tubing because they fit directly to the disconnect post on the keg, the "regulator" is quite basic but you don't really need a gauge (there are rough graduations on the regulator). But the important thing is you can fit any tap you like at a later date, and any regulator(s) you like with an enormous "Pub" CO2 cylinder if you want one. You can buy more bare kegs and "disconnect" caps to expand your output (if you want).

If you're being "naïve", it is expecting all us cronies to know what you want to know.

You limit responses by not being very specific about what you have. I've guessed and presume these?

https://www.geterbrewed.com/stainless-steel-mini-keg-dispensing-set-up-complete-with-regulator/

For which I can say: No worries, the "mini-keg" itself is pretty standard as they are made in China and sold by every man and his dog. And they are pretty good too, I've got two (plus a 2L one, they come in 3.6L and even 10L sizes too). The taps don't need tubing because they fit directly to the disconnect post on the keg, the "regulator" is quite basic but you don't really need a gauge (there are rough graduations on the regulator). But the important thing is you can fit any tap you like at a later date, and any regulator(s) you like with an enormous "Pub" CO2 cylinder if you want one. You can buy more bare kegs and "disconnect" caps to expand your output (if you want).

If you're being "naïve", it is expecting all us cronies to know what you want to know.
I need the tube that fits to the main post which the beer will flow through from the keg or have I got this wrong, sorry if this is a daft question .

Thank you

I need the tube that fits to the main post which the beer will flow through from the keg or have I got this wrong, sorry if this is a daft question .
Assuming I've picked out the item you possess: The tap is attached directly to the cap, there is no "tube". If you don't like that you can change it at a later date, but for starters the directly attached tap is ideal. If you can't attach the tap to the cap there might be a missing item, but GetErBrewed will sort that out.

My earlier post mentioned "disconnects". That's me not looking close enough, ignore my mention of "disconnects".

I resent you suggesting you're asking daft questions. I'm the daftest around here and I'm not accepting that anyone can suggest they might unseat me. :confused:

@peebee, I think you need a tube from the bottom of the spear which reaches to the bottom of the keg. That is if it's like the one I bought from Dark Farm.

@Padawanrob I think you can force carbonate using these but it will be expensive using 16g bulbs. If you are force carbonating, it would probably be better to get a sodastream bottle and connector or a larger gas bottle. I haven't tried force carbing with mine. I just prime and leave to carbonate as normal.

Assuming I've picked out the item you possess: The tap is attached directly to the cap, there is no "tube". If you don't like that you can change it at a later date, but for starters the directly attached tap is ideal. If you can't attach the tap to the cap there might be a missing item, but GetErBrewed will sort that out.

My earlier post mentioned "disconnects". That's me not looking close enough, ignore my mention of "disconnects".

I resent you suggesting you're asking daft questions. I'm the daftest around here and I'm not accepting that anyone can suggest they might unseat me. :confused:
Thank you for your help and advice

@peebee, I think you need a tube from the bottom of the spear which reaches to the bottom of the keg. That is if it's like the one I bought from Dark Farm.

@Padawanrob I think you can force carbonate using these but it will be expensive using 16g bulbs. If you are force carbonating, it would probably be better to get a sodastream bottle and connector or a larger gas bottle. I haven't tried force carbing with mine. I just prime and leave to carbonate as normal.

Yes it must be like the dark farm where you need the tube to the spear, do you know the size?

Is the sodastream connector something I could fit simply to the regulator supplied it is the kit @peebee has mentioned earlier.

Thank you for you help and advice

If it's the same as the Dark Farm one I have, it is 3/16 inch internal diameter. I'm not sure how much length you will need as it depends how tall the keg is. I would go for a long length and cut to size with enough spare to make a couple more.

I don't use a soda stream adaptor so not sure about them. Malt Miller seems to have 3(?) different types and Dark Farm sell them as a kit with a regulator. I would try it with the 16g bulbs first but you may use a few. I find 1 bulb will just about dispense 5 litres of normally carbed beer.

Other members use larger gas bottles with these so hopefully they can chip in here (@Clint perhaps?)

If it's the same as the Dark Farm one I have, it is 3/16 inch internal diameter. I'm not sure how much length you will need as it depends how tall the keg is. I would go for a long length and cut to size with enough spare to make a couple more.

I don't use a soda stream adaptor so not sure about them. Malt Miller seems to have 3(?) different types and Dark Farm sell them as a kit with a regulator. I would try it with the 16g bulbs first but you may use a few. I find 1 bulb will just about dispense 5 litres of normally carbed beer.

Other members use larger gas bottles with these so hopefully they can chip in here (@Clint perhaps?)

Well I went through 1 canister and rocked the keg for 5 mins, put in the fridge and will wait and see if it did anything

Please may I ask a question, when you put the 16g in the regulator do you leave it open all the time or do you open only when you dispense, I am so new to the keg and co2 as I always bottled

Thank you

Bottling is easy just get you set up right and go for it. Kegging is too easy but co2 retirement and storage issue and transport issue. I will be brewing beer to take to the tailgate events I organise and go to, so bottles is perfect

… Please may I ask a question, when you put the 16g in the regulator do you leave it open all the time or do you open only when you dispense, I am so new to the keg and co2 as I always bottled …
Leave the regulator on all the time. If you've got minor leaks you haven't detected you only lose a 16g cartridge (after which your beer goes "flat", as in it won't be fizzy, but in reality it isn't "flat" but that will take a bit of explaining).

You can choose to close the regulator when not dispensing, but that is generally a tactic of someone (i.e. a paranoid someone like me) using larger cylinders.

Leave the regulator on all the time. If you've got minor leaks you haven't detected you only lose a 16g cartridge (after which your beer goes "flat", as in it won't be fizzy, but in reality it isn't "flat" but that will take a bit of explaining).

You can choose to close the regulator when not dispensing, but that is generally a tactic of someone (i.e. a paranoid someone like me) using larger cylinders.

Ok so I have turned the dial to 20 and now leave it in the fridge on this number, there is no indication on the regulator to say how much pressure is in the keg so I'm blind, so would you say this is ok, I'm nervous because I'm thinking leaving the gas on will just blow the keg, sorry for all these questions and thanks again.

Ok so I have turned the dial to 20 and now leave it in the fridge on this number, there is no indication on the regulator to say how much pressure is in the keg so I'm blind, so would you say this is ok, I'm nervous because I'm thinking leaving the gas on will just blow the keg, sorry for all these questions and thanks again.

I only turn the gas on to dispense but perhaps I am wrong doing this. I know that people using cornies keep the gas on all the time but they use large gas bottles.

The spear and tap unit should have a pressure release valve on it so it should be difficult to blow the keg up!

I only turn the gas on to dispense but perhaps I am wrong doing this. I know that people using cornies keep the gas on all the time but they use large gas bottles.

The spear and tap unit should have a pressure release valve on it so it should be difficult to blow the keg up!
I am following you, I have turned the dial to zero, will only turn it or charge when I dispense, it's all new to me and I hope to get there in the end. Thank you

I've been force carbonating a 9l corny keg with a mini regulator and 16g cartridges, it works fine but it's fairly expensive compared to a larger bottle.

I've been leaving the regulator on, and letting the pressure equalize over a couple of weeks - takes around 2 bulbs leaving the keg outside e.g cold-ish, then it's moderately carbonated and ready to serve.

Latest posts

Back