3kw immersion elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorrie

Reaction score
OK, I know folk use these, but I'm under the impression that they come already fitted with a thermostat that will not allow a boil for obvious safety reasons.

Am I correct and if so, how do you bypass the stat? Or how about a source for non-thermostatted 3kw heaters - anyone got one?

:cheers:

Yes the stat can be removed completely, as it slides down a tube normally and the wiring removed. Very obvious when you see it. ;)
S

Just a quick question to hijack this thread slightly. I'm in the middle of getting all the bits together for my 100l SS boiler (upgrading from a H&G 60l) and just need to know is it worth going for the 3kw immersion elements or the 2.75kw kettle type elements? The electric supply isn't a problem for me as I already have 2 ring mains running through separate RCD's + an old immersion line running in the outhouse / brewhouse (bro's a sparky and he prepared me for all eventualities!). So what’s the major benefits of the 3kw over the 2.75kw?

Scorrie where did you get the immersion elements from and what price were they?

Don't know about those elements that Mark uses, but the cut out is not a problem with immersion. Immersions, 11inch, are about a tenner from Backer. Mounting and protection of the terminals are the issues with elements.
I have a couple of immersions in my boiler mounted on a socket supplied by BES.
Have a look here
You can get 2 -1/4 bsp rings atToolstation which I have considered but never used :hmm:
For easy of mounting, physical size and efficiency I have a Backer 3 kw 2 leg element in my HX, but over twenty notes from memory and the terminals need a cover of some sort. ;)
S

Latest posts

Back