12 bottle or 2 x 6 bottle kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

another fan

Reaction score
Apologies as a newbie this may appear to be a daft question

I am looking to use kits to brew 12 bottles.

If I use 2 x 6 bottle kits do I need to modify any of the ingredients or use both in one fermenting vessel all to make one brew

Welcome to the forum.
You could either use two demijohns (DJ) or if they are the same kit us a Fermenting vessel (FV) i would use the FV but only if you don't intend to keep the wine in it after its finished fermenting as there is too much head room and it will oxidise and taste bad, why not go for a FV and 30 bottle kit as its the same amount of work, you get more wine and its cheaper, you can use 1.5 or 2 litre spring water bottles to store it once finished if you don't have lots of glass 750ml glass bottles

Welcome to the forum.
You could either use two demijohns (DJ) or if they are the same kit us a Fermenting vessel (FV) i would use the FV but only if you don't intend to keep the wine in it after its finished fermenting as there is too much head room and it will oxidise and taste bad, why not go for a FV and 30 bottle kit as its the same amount of work, you get more wine and its cheaper, you can use 1.5 or 2 litre spring water bottles to store it once finished if you don't have lots of glass 750ml glass bottles

I am glad Another Fan asked this question. I don't have the physical strength to lift a FV containing a 30 bottle kit but, like you say, it's the same amount of work involved as six bottles. If I made up three, six bottle kits could I use any size FV? I wouldn't want to ruin the wine by having too much head room in the FV. And, secondly, is one FV enough to complete all the processes? I have several demijohns.

Back