100 Years on and we will remember them

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately its a little too far back for me to say if any relatives where involved, I imagine most of them would have been mining for coal. however a pack of poppy seeds sounds like something I could easily do.

What a great idea, i've got a big patch of unused soil in the front garden which would be perfect, and i like the idea of spreading them on road sides.

IPA said:
A little known fact is the final scene with the poppies was the idea of not the script writers or the director but a suggestion of the production/continuity assistant made when they could not think of a final scene over which to roll the credits. For those who do not know what a production/continuity assistant is, it is the person, usually a woman, who sits with the director and is responsible for ensuring that all the actors/actresses dialoge, actions, clothing, movements and camera shots are constant throughout the shoot. Formidable people. Believe me SHMBO was one!

Remember seeing that when Beeb did a documentary on the Adder dynasty.

The original ending was them going over the top and dieing, but then they said it looked bad, you see one of them get hit in the face with a clump of mud I believe.

Then the suggestion of slowing it down, losing the sound was introduced, then how about fading to a 'stock' image of a poppy field added to the mix.

One of the greatest 'credit' moments ever, and something I don't object to being repeated on tv

Very appropriate link Moley

Personally, Wilfred Owen hit the nail on the head with this

Under his helmet, up against his pack,
After so many days of work and waking,
Sleep took him by the brow and laid him back.

There, in the happy no-time of his sleeping,
Death took him by the heart. There heaved a quaking
Of the aborted life within him leaping,
Then chest and sleepy arms once more fell slack.

And soon the slow, stray blood came creeping
From the intruding lead, like ants on track.

Whether his deeper sleep lie shaded by the shaking
Of great wings, and the thoughts that hung the stars,
High-pillowed on calm pillows of God's making,
Above these clouds, these rains, these sleets of lead,
And these winds' scimitars,
Or whether yet his thin and sodden head
Confuses more and more with the low mould,
His hair being one with the grey grass
Of finished fields, and wire-scrags rusty-old,
Who knows? Who hopes? Who troubles? Let it pass!
He sleeps. He sleeps less tremulous, less cold,
Than we who wake, and waking say Alas!

Copied from Poem Hunter

Black Adder 4 has is probably one of the best representations of the ethos of the troops, despite the comedic work the three of them know they are going over the top to death, yet they go.

In some small way I am constantly amazed that the rank and file did not mutiny en mass, shoot Hague and take the first boat home. I know that there were some limited mutinies, but why there weren't more I'll never really understand, even when the events are put into the context of the times.

MadrikXIV said:
In some small way I am constantly amazed that the rank and file did not mutiny en mass, shoot Hague and take the first boat home. I know that there were some limited mutinies, but why there weren't more I'll never really understand, even when the events are put into the context of the times.

I am sure there was a degree of numbness to the death and dismemberment, having witnessed the horror day in and day out. And a degree of do your duty to king and country mentality more prevalent in those times than today.

...a-a-a-n-n-n-d-d-d back to the poppies...

I'm just not quite sure whether it's anything to do with making sure there are enough seeds for this event next year or what but

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces ... 0&t=h&z=14

The fields to the North and East of Buckland Road, three North of the B4508 and the two to the South-East are all cornfield poppies. Not just a few poppies popping up through another crop, these fields are currently blood red as far as you can see.

It's utterly astonishing.

If people get into this next year and the pockets of bright, bright red catch you like these fields do it will be a great success.

Seriously if you are in the area it;s well worth a detour to see it.

:thumb:

Actually I've got a crappy iPhone picture which really doesn't do it justice...

4ebehezu.jpg

bobsbeer said:
I ordered mine on flea bay 99p plus 69p postage for 10000 seeds. HERE Assuming only half germinate that is still 5000 poppy plants. :thumb: We need to get at least 22.5 million which would represent all those killed, wounded or missing in action on the allies side and a further 16.5 million on the other side. What an appalling waste of humanity to appease a few politicians ego's. That's nearly 28,000 people killed or wounded per day on both sides. Roughly the population of Kendal, Cumbria wiped out every day for 4 years. Shocking.

Thiepval Memorial to all the unknown graves. Taken on a recent visit.

Played Last Post there and the Somme , many times, been to and played at Remembrance Services at all the major ones in Europe during my service.

Here is the website for the campaign giving details of how and when to sow and guidelines of were not to sow.

:thumb: :thumb:

calumscott said:
...a-a-a-n-n-n-d-d-d back to the poppies...

I'm just not quite sure whether it's anything to do with making sure there are enough seeds for this event next year or what but

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces ... 0&t=h&z=14

The fields to the North and East of Buckland Road, three North of the B4508 and the two to the South-East are all cornfield poppies. Not just a few poppies popping up through another crop, these fields are currently blood red as far as you can see.

It's utterly astonishing.

If people get into this next year and the pockets of bright, bright red catch you like these fields do it will be a great success.

Seriously if you are in the area it;s well worth a detour to see it.

:thumb:

Actually I've got a crappy iPhone picture which really doesn't do it justice...

4ebehezu.jpg

That looks great Calum. I just hope the ones we sow come up next year. It would be great to see them everywhere. The wild ones round our way tend to be yellow. So hoping the ones I sow will turn out red. Just hoping that the soil doesn't change the colour.

bobsbeer said:
I ordered mine on flea bay 99p plus 69p postage for 10000 seeds. HERE Assuming only half germinate that is still 5000 poppy plants. :thumb: We need to get at least 22.5 million which would represent all those killed, wounded or missing in action on the allies side and a further 16.5 million on the other side. What an appalling waste of humanity to appease a few politicians ego's. That's nearly 28,000 people killed or wounded per day on both sides. Roughly the population of Kendal, Cumbria wiped out every day for 4 years. Shocking.

Thiepval Memorial to all the unknown graves. Taken on a recent visit.

thanks bobsbeer...iv just orderd some from there my self thank you very much for the link ...
this is a fantastic edea.. :clap: :clap: :clap: .
ill be scatering them along the cycle track where i go every day rain or shine.. ;) .

If you plant them now then you will need to disturb the soil next year so best cast next year between may and july to ensure they come up for 4th August 2014 according to the 'Real Poppy Campaign ' Website.

Also they shouldn't be planted on agricultural land or Sites of Scientific Interest.

:thumb: :thumb:

The wife is heavily into family history and has done extensive research into our family in the first world war. On her side several of her great uncles were killed but on mine everybody who went came back however NOBODY spoke of their experiences and one that I know of committed suicide shortly after coming home.

From piecing together the wartime records that have survived (loads were lost during a fire in the second world war) we found that my paternal grandfather was conscripted into the infantry. Shortly after finishing training he absconded and went on the run. He actually joined up again a little while later under a totally different name but this time in the Artillery (RFA). He was in the front line when they caught up with him.

In the records there's a debate on what to do with him and the decision (luckily for me) was that as he'd rejoined and gone to fight rather than stayed on the run they'd not bother with a firing squad as the Germans would probably get him anyway. He spent some time in the glasshouse and the rest of the war on the western front. My dad was born in late 1917.

Its a sobering thought that if he'd stayed in the infantry he'd probably have been killed (The Staffords were at the Somme and Ypres) and I wouldn't be writing this post.

Any way the Poppies have been bought and I'll be spreading them and the news of this campaign as far and wide as I can.

Chris

Latest posts

Back