100 Years on and we will remember them

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
Next year will mark the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1, As an act of remembrance for all those who died and served, a campaign has been started to plant red poppy seeds in as many places as possible. Roadsides, gardens, etc. If we all scattered a packet of red poppy seeds in and around where we live there would be a huge display of red poppies this time next year to coincide with 28th July, the start of hostilities in Europe.

Red poppy seeds are readily available and cost less than £1. So lets remember them. Please scatter some seeds.

What a great idea. My Grandad died as a direct result of the war, mustard gas.

I'm hopeless on relatives - my mother's dad's brother - that's her uncle, right?
So what was he to me, grand uncle?

Anyway, he was taken out by a sniper a few days before the armistice, so I'm in too, and if I'm still around in 2018 I must visit a tiny village churchyard in Belgium.

My Grandad was a boy soldier at the battle of the Somme he was only 15. He survived. I will get some seeds for my boys to sow. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
My Grandad was a boy soldier at the battle of the Somme he was only 15. He survived. I will get some seeds for my boys to sow. :thumb: :thumb:
i visited the Somme with the army cadets when I was a lad and laid a reef at the menin gate at the memorial service, the Somme is an eery place. I'll be sewing seeds.

Moley said:
I'm hopeless on relatives - my mother's dad's brother - that's her uncle, right?
So what was he to me, grand uncle?

Anyway, he was taken out by a sniper a few days before the armistice, so I'm in too, and if I'm still around in 2018 I must visit a tiny village churchyard in Belgium.

Great uncle. It's always especially poignant (although no more or less senseless) when you hear of people who were killed on the run up to the armistice. Can you imagine being the family of someone killed after the armistice, but before word had reached them?

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

McCrae's "In Flanders Fields" remains to this day one of the most memorable war poems ever written. It is a lasting legacy of the terrible battle in the Ypres salient in the spring of 1915. Here is the story of the making of that poem:
Although he had been a doctor for years and had served in the South African War, it was impossible to get used to the suffering, the screams, and the blood here, and Major John McCrae had seen and heard enough in his dressing station to last him a lifetime.

As a surgeon attached to the 1st Field Artillery Brigade, Major McCrae, who had joined the McGill faculty in 1900 after graduating from the University of Toronto, had spent seventeen days treating injured men -- Canadians, British, Indians, French, and Germans -- in the Ypres salient.

It had been an ordeal that he had hardly thought possible. McCrae later wrote of it:

"I wish I could embody on paper some of the varied sensations of that seventeen days... Seventeen days of Hades! At the end of the first day if anyone had told us we had to spend seventeen days there, we would have folded our hands and said it could not have been done."

One death particularly affected McCrae. A young friend and former student, Lieut. Alexis Helmer of Ottawa, had been killed by a shell burst on 2 May 1915. Lieutenant Helmer was buried later that day in the little cemetery outside McCrae's dressing station, and McCrae had performed the funeral ceremony in the absence of the chaplain.

The next day, sitting on the back of an ambulance parked near the dressing station beside the Canal de l'Yser, just a few hundred yards north of Ypres, McCrae vented his anguish by composing a poem. The major was no stranger to writing, having authored several medical texts besides dabbling in poetry.

In the nearby cemetery, McCrae could see the wild poppies that sprang up in the ditches in that part of Europe, and he spent twenty minutes of precious rest time scribbling fifteen lines of verse in a notebook.

A young soldier watched him write it. Cyril Allinson, a twenty-two year old sergeant-major, was delivering mail that day when he spotted McCrae. The major looked up as Allinson approached, then went on writing while the sergeant-major stood there quietly. "His face was very tired but calm as we wrote," Allinson recalled. "He looked around from time to time, his eyes straying to Helmer's grave."

When McCrae finished five minutes later, he took his mail from Allinson and, without saying a word, handed his pad to the young NCO. Allinson was moved by what he read:

"The poem was exactly an exact description of the scene in front of us both. He used the word blow in that line because the poppies actually were being blown that morning by a gentle east wind. It never occurred to me at that time that it would ever be published. It seemed to me just an exact description of the scene."

In fact, it was very nearly not published. Dissatisfied with it, McCrae tossed the poem away, but a fellow officer retrieved it and sent it to newspapers in England. The Spectator, in London, rejected it, but Punch published it on 8 December 1915.

narmour said:
It's always especially poignant (although no more or less senseless) when you hear of people who were killed on the run up to the armistice.
My paternal grandfather survived the war, I have his medals but he would never even tell my Dad what they were awarded for.

My great uncle (thanks for that) was part of a unit liberating a small village on the Belgian / French border in the last week of the war. Some resistance was met, four of them died and they are buried together in the church yard. My parents visited a few years ago and were pleased to find that the graves were still being meticulously tended after all this time. They were slightly more surprised when, after directing them to the graves, the priest went and summoned the mayor and they were received like honoured guests.

From my experience its the English that do not show so much respect and care.
I visited an American cemetery a few years ago ( specifically to look up some Civil War notables buried there. However it was a large cemetery still in use, all the graves were immaculate, all military graves had a little flag planted on them, there was no litter no weeds to be seen. There were many many groups of people paying their respects to various graves.It was nothing special I was told, " its like this 364 days a year." It was a humbling experience in a way.

My great Grandfather came back from the Somme, wished I had known what I know now.

He has a small piece in Lynn Mcdonalds 'Somme' a very good read

You can get 10,000 on amazon for about £2 postage

Wonder how many will get told off for 'Gardening' by councils

I ordered mine on flea bay 99p plus 69p postage for 10000 seeds. HERE Assuming only half germinate that is still 5000 poppy plants. :thumb: We need to get at least 22.5 million which would represent all those killed, wounded or missing in action on the allies side and a further 16.5 million on the other side. What an appalling waste of humanity to appease a few politicians ego's. That's nearly 28,000 people killed or wounded per day on both sides. Roughly the population of Kendal, Cumbria wiped out every day for 4 years. Shocking.

Thiepval Memorial to all the unknown graves. Taken on a recent visit.

Fantastic idea and thank's for the link.

On a visit with the ex-wife a number of years ago to France I made a point of trying to visit any war grave sites we passed.

I know it might sound a bit odd but the final scenes of Black Adder Goes Fourth still brings a tear to my eye.

I'll be buying those poppy seeds and take great pleasure in sowing them amongst the stewardship grasses about within our acre of hop yard.... :thumb:

Beautiful idea. My old Grandad was in the RN, serving on the Royal Sovereign (BIG war canoe), the Cairo and the Sturgeon. His 5 brothers were in the army - 2 never came back. Definitely doing this :thumb:

Moley said:
Play it all the way through, and listen to the words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntt3wy-L8Ok

When we do the silence on 11th of November in school I always play that song to whatever class I have at 11.00 for the few minutes before the silence. Haven't had a problem with any of the kids not respecting the silence in years. The only time one little b*****d didn't respect the silence the rest of the class turned on him afterwards..I didn't need to say a thing. The only problem I have is keeping a dry eye through the song myself.

I'll buy a pack of seeds, what a great idea, sprinkled around the school grounds they'd make a powerful message to the young 'uns.

BeerBloke said:
I know it might sound a bit odd but the final scenes of Black Adder Goes Fourth still brings a tear to my eye.

Moley said:

I know what you mean about black adder Phil, genius writing and production.

Very good Ade, even more poignant as my Grandad was in an Irish regiment.

dennisking said:
BeerBloke said:

Moley said:

I know what you mean about black adder Phil, genius writing and production.

Very good Ade, even more poignant as my Grandad was in an Irish regiment.

A little known fact is the final scene with the poppies was the idea of not the script writers or the director but a suggestion of the production/continuity assistant made when they could not think of a final scene over which to roll the credits. For those who do not know what a production/continuity assistant is, it is the person, usually a woman, who sits with the director and is responsible for ensuring that all the actors/actresses dialoge, actions, clothing, movements and camera shots are constant throughout the shoot. Formidable people. Believe me SHMBO was one!

Latest posts

Back