£250,000 for 1 kid - ethical?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite, when resources are limited it's right to spend very big on one person or use that £ to help a number of people.

For example :-

1/4Million to help one person or drugs for the young mum with something terminal and a few new hips for Grannys.

Yes more £ could be brought in but let's face it it's not going to be, so this a situation faced by hospitals day by day. Doctors face choices of how to allocate resourced each and every shift and people live and die by that decision.

aamcle

You quoted me in your last post It was not my reply but i did agree with it.

Ive read this thread 2x now and havent seen where someone suggested euthanasia. If that was a response to my questioning the doctors interventions into severely compromised births.....that is not euthanasia, or what I was/am suggesting. When my father was dying, his condition was such that yes...interventions could be taken that would most probably extend his life for a period (if he survived the surgery) but his quality of life would be no better...continue to degrade, and his outcome (death) would remain the same. The question was...do we spend the resources,put him through more trauma...more time in the hospital..more discomfort...for what? So that "we" feel better? I understand that when children..our loved ones are the one in question, its harder to step back and not let emotions play a role in decision making. but...

Im glad this thread hasnt been locked. These and other discussions like this are going to be had more and more in the future. I dont think it can be avoided, and the sooner discussions like this happen, the better. ( IMHO)

As the first person who used the word, I am happy to acknowledge that the OP only countenanced withholding necessary medical treatment from severely disabled people, and not a euthanasia program. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to look up godwins law...anyhow the reason why people refer to Hitler is because he was notorious for certain atrocities and ideals...otherwise it could lead to some confusion as to who the comparison was being made...maybe,I suppose...
I tried to answer hypothetically as to the subject matter and with no offence to the op.
I think it is definitely ethical to spend the money....
And it's not just grannies with false hips. ...
Strictly no offence meant to anyone..except Hitler. ..
Has every thread on the forum that descended into chaos actually mentioned Hitler?

Just to play devils advocate... what about a society/healthcare program which only provides preventive medicine? However if someone becomes ill or needs medical support to continue to live, this isnt provided. This wouldnt be selective so would apply to everyone.

With world population levels becoming increasingly high this would mean that population levels would be more likely to come into better levels and would save a fortune in healthcare costs...

Just to make it clear, i am not putting this forward as my belief but more as a counter argument in that everyone needs healthcare at some point in their life and that you either provide care for all... or care for none.

Err.. I didn't suggest withholding necessary health care or at least that was not my intent, the example I gave was a young chap who apparently was not suffering horrendous pain and was in no danger of imminent demise. His care as shown was social, possibly educational although I'm unsure if there was the capacity to receive education.

Nor am I suggesting leaving him to stare at a blank wall all day, care must be provided but at what level, should he "fill his boots" or should he take less and give Granny a go at a new hip.

aamcle

I don’t know the specifics of the case and trying to make inferences from your comments isn’t working for me. I can’t work out if you’re trying to rationalise a single case or make a societal point, if you’re trying to discuss health and social care spending, integration of the two or government spending priorities more generally. So I’ll have to just throw my hands up and say I don’t know the answer to whatever question it is you wanted to answer and bow out of the thread.

I don’t know the specifics of the case and trying to make inferences from your comments isn’t working for me. I can’t work out if you’re trying to rationalise a single case or make a societal point, if you’re trying to discuss health and social care spending, integration of the two or government spending priorities more generally. So I’ll have to just throw my hands up and say I don’t know the answer to whatever question it is you wanted to answer and bow out of the thread.

Just like a morals/ethics version of dragons den. :mrgreen:

That's my problem I don't know the answer either and I don't seem to have the skills required to muster a coherent discussion.

Oh well, I'll just have to go to bed still not knowing were the line should be drawn.

aamcle

Latest posts

Back