Letting yeast 'clean up' - putting it to the test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Righto, I usually leave my wows for a week or so after fermentation has finished for the 'yeast to clean up after itself' a commonly known term it seems (not looking at anyone in particular chippytea)

a5555555555555555.jpg

I think half your post has gone missing, i assume you are going to make a side by side comparison, i will be interested to hear your results especially if you try the "drink as soon as its fermented" version and the day after you are patting your RSole dry with a cold damp towel. :lol:

bugger.....

the rest of the story in a nutshell was that I was out buying some apple juice for my next cider and after loading it into the car realised that it needs to be kept in the fridge

So I needed to free up my primary fv for that so racked earlier than I would have.

Let the challenge of the Gary's begin, I have a strong constitution

I should say I'm not going to drink it straightaway, but have just racked it/stabilised it, then will degass and clear as usual.

might try it out on the missus to be on the safe side though

I have finished it a couple of days short of three weeks before but never as short as two weeks.

Nice experiment, will be interested in the results - if you can see straight for long enough to report back on here ..... 1.090 ->0.990 :shock:

I have often wondered why kits say once it gets to 996 or below finish and clear it, why is it different for a kit when all you are doing is fermenting juice as you are with the wow variants.

maybe so they're not too dry ? good question

No what i meant was if its OK to let a kit ferment to 996 stop it and clear it why do we have to give a WOW the extra 7 days after it has finished fermenting, surely the "yeast clearing up after itself" is as important for the kit wine as it is for the WOW.

ah right, see what you mean yeh

I guess all will become clear (or not) by the end of next week... should have cleared and bottled it by then

degassed and threw in some finings yesterday, looking pretty damn clear already, will bottle it tonight or tomorrow I think

tonight of course, tastes pretty darn good

the missus too, although I've not let on about the possible downside haha

Well I'm still here, and no ill effects from the 'turbo' WOW, 11 days from start to bottle/drinking. Had a bottle of it last night

I'm happy with that :-P

Latest posts

Back