First brew of Summer 2014 - Bramling Cross Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
....it's officially British summer time and the brew is on...

Got up in the dark to get this one started early as I'm cooking Mother's Day Sunday roast later... :roll: The boiler was on at 6.15am and aiming to start my 90min mash at 7am.

This one is a Robust Porter, somewhat made up with help from the forum and using up bits and bobs. I have a packet of Bramling Cross which don't seem to go with anything, so they are going into this one - seems to be a bit of a Marmite hop this one, but I am hoping that fruity, blackcurranty taste works well with the dark roast flavours in a Porter.

4.5kg Marris Otter Pale Malt
700gms Munich Malt (cos that finishes the bag off...)
650gms Crystal Malt
300gms Chocolate Malt
125gms Black Malt

50gms Fuggles (5.7%) leaf - 60mins
30gms Bramling Cross (4.7%) leaf - 20mins
20gms Bramling Cross (4.7%) leaf - 0mins

Doughing in at around 2.5lts-to-1kg-grain, so around 15lire.

And we're underway....

..... mash is on. Started out a bit hot at 69degrees but come down to a reasonable 67ish now. As there is a a fairly large amount of grain, I am going for a 90min mash this time.

Big hit of coffee smell as the roasted malts when in. Having never made a porter before, I was a little worried that it didn't become to bitter/acrid taste as I'd read that the Black Malt in particular can be pretty powerful. The roasted grains come in at around 7% of the total grain bill, with 2% being the Black Malt, and I've read somewhere to not go above 10%. There is also a reasonable dose of Crystal in there to add sweetness.

Right - an hour in the workshop....

Safale -04 pitched at 12ish and tucked away in the fermenting fridge. Final post-boil gravity was 1.062ish so pretty good extraction, with around 20litres collected.

I didn't get a huge hop flavour from what I tasted, so I think I will finish of the last 20gms of Bramling Cross by dry-hopping if a few weeks time.

Back