Wood burners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched the video and I think for me personally it would still be quite difficult to use. Most women just aren't built with the physical strength that men have.

I've bought a small electric saw that we do ours with. I'm terrified of it though lol :laugh8:
I have seen people use a stepped drill piece to cut kindling. Use in a lightweight battery drill. Videos make it look easy. When the weather dries I may give it a go

Got a link?
I'm rubbish at links etc! Just Google Fandango Firetools. They have a Christmas offer with a free lump hammer. The thing isn't cheap but it's cheaper than me chopping my thumb off! I ordered yesterday and got it today...hammer offer runs out tomorrow.

https://fandangofiretools.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_WlzISi_AIVm-7tCh2GUwsiEAAYASAAEgIoLvD_BwE

tttttre.JPG

I put some maximum size,really knotty oak through mine to see what it could do...no problem. The better stuff and the cherry and birch fly through.

I don't think I have ever cut myself chopping wood or kindling,
The trick is to hold the wood against the blade and bring them both down on to your block to bury the blade. No fingers in the way and the blade is at exactly the point you wanted to cut in to every time. No miss strikes or ricochet
If it's a particularly knotty bit, it won't cut straight through and just stick an inch or so in the wood. Fine, lift the axe with wood stuck on the end and whack it down. Chop chop.

The idea of aiming an axe at a 2" target to split kindling and swinging down with the target being held by your fingers...shudder.
Practical demo....

Edited to add, I don't mean this post as condescending, as I am sure the more experienced burners on here have their own methods and are quite happy. But there are many people just getting a burner that have never had a log or coal fire before, and are now wielding an axe or hatchet for the very first time in their lives.
Noone teaches this sort of stuff and neither will the fire installer.

Last edited:
Neither do I. I have to admit I don't follow that guide when splitting bigger logs, as I tend to make sure they are squarely cut so are free standing when they need halving -
whackwhackwhack and it's done.
but for kindling, every time.

I don't think I have ever cut myself chopping wood or kindling,
The trick is to hold the wood against the blade and bring them both down on to your block to bury the blade. No fingers in the way and the blade is at exactly the point you wanted to cut in to every time. No miss strikes or ricochet
If it's a particularly knotty bit, it won't cut straight through and just stick an inch or so in the wood. Fine, lift the axe with wood stuck on the end and whack it down. Chop chop.

The idea of aiming an axe at a 2" target to split kindling and swinging down with the target being held by your fingers...shudder.
Practical demo....

Edited to add, I don't mean this post as condescending, as I am sure the more experienced burners on here have their own methods and are quite happy. But there are many people just getting a burner that have never had a log or coal fire before, and are now wielding an axe or hatchet for the very first time in their lives.
Noone teaches this sort of stuff and neither will the fire installer.

Great advice. I grew up with coal fires and my owd dad was a fanatic log chopper and coal gatherer off the local slag heaps when times were hard. My youth was spent felling some huge dead elms and other assorted dead trees....all sawn with a cross cut and split with wedges....bloody hard graft...my dad later progressed to chain saws.
I'm out of practice by about 25 years...

Lisa,no great amount of strength needed. The hammer does the work. It really is ridiculously easy...and quite safe. I've had a play and can easily split wood down to half inch if needed.
What's it like going through knots in wood? We have a large amount of wood with lots of knots in it and it's a pain to chop with my hatchet. I'm considering getting one of these

I only use about 3/4 of a single pallet strip, chopped into sticks to get the Woodburner going. These sticks are Jenga piled onto a couple of small logs.

Like I said the blocks are saved as a last resort.

What's it like going through knots in wood? We have a large amount of wood with lots of knots in it and it's a pain to chop with my hatchet. I'm considering getting one of these
I only tried a couple of knotty oak logs I had handy but t smashed them up. But I've only had the thing a few hours so bear that in mind.

Households who use wood-burning stoves in pollution hotspots could face £300 fines and even a criminal record, as the government vows to improve England's air quality.

In a new review of its environmental targets, the environment department (Defra) wants local authorities in 'smoke control areas' to be tougher on illegal burning.

What is the problem with wood burners?

Burning wood releases harmful pollutants, such as tiny particles called particulate matter, straight into the home as well as into the air outside.

Domestic wood burning is the UK’s largest single source of particulate matter known as PM2.5, which is linked to health problems such as heart disease, strokes and cancer.

What is the rule change?

On Tuesday, Defra released the first-five yearly review of its 25 Year Environment Plan, which is a strategy to "help the natural world regain and retain good health".

In the review, Defra said it will enable local authorities to "better enforce" smoke control areas – locations where additional restrictions on domestic burning apply.

For years, local authorities in England have been able to impose fines of up to £300 on households whose chimneys emit too much smoke. This penalty can reach up to £1,000 if the household is using an unauthorised fuel.

For the most persistent offenders, councils are also able to pursue criminal prosecutions.

However, local authorities have previously complained that smoke control areas can be hard to enforce.

Environment journal the ENDS Report found that despite more than 8,000 complaints being lodged over the past five years, no local authority with a smoke control area had issued a single fine.

In Monday's enforcement drive, Defra also said it will tighten the limits that new stoves in smoke control areas must meet. The limit will be reduced from 5g of smoke per hour to a maximum of 3g.

Where are the affected smoke control areas?

To find out which areas of England are designated smoke control areas, visit the government's smoke control area map.

Smoke control areas are mostly cover built-up cities. Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol and most boroughs in London all fall under a smoke control area.

Are some wood-burning stoves exempt from the fines?

Yes. A list of Defra exempted appliances can be found here.

These have been "rigorously" tested and demonstrate low smoke emissions, the government department says.

What if a wood-burning stove is my only source of fuel?

In its review, the government said that because domestic burning is the primary source of heat for some households, an outright ban on wood burners will not be introduced. However, Defra did not explicitly state how households that rely on wood burners should avoid being fined amid the planned crackdown.

In general guidance from last year, Defra advised on how all users of wood burners could reduce smoke emissions.

It recommended that people buy Defra exempt stoves, and have them installed properly and regularly maintained. It also recommended that households get their chimney swept up to twice a year.

Households are encouraged not to get the fire going when it is not necessary - for example; if the house is already warm.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-02-01...ine-and-criminal-record-over-your-wood-burner

A box of hard wood has gone up to 420 now. I took a pic October time last year. I’d get through one of these in under 2 months easy.

Thankfully I’ve got good stocks an a few trees to come down.

Attachments

• 51E1C837-CBD7-46AB-83E8-8D6DE9FE7567.jpeg
    51E1C837-CBD7-46AB-83E8-8D6DE9FE7567.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
A box of hard wood has gone up to 420 now. I took a pic October time last year. I’d get through one of these in under 2 months easy.

Thankfully I’ve got good stocks an a few trees to come down.
How much is in that box, Lee? Wood's gone up here, too but not by much and I paid €600 for 2 cords. It'll last me most of the winter with 2 out if 3 stoves going on the cold days, which means most days. I should get the chimneys done once a year, but they're so clean that I sometimes leave it for a second year. They're clean because the wood is perfectly dry. Oak needs to be stored for two years before it can be burnt. Beech only one year. We don't have any other heating although the water is on the lecky.
Living out in the sticks, I could probably get it a lot cheaper if I could be bothered cutting and splitting it all myself, but I've got better things to do like brewing beer.

Latest posts

Back