What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
British Golden Ale
Harlequin, Jester and Olicana Hops

Golden Promise, Carapils and Wheat Malt with a bit of Clear Choice as I was short on GP..

OG - 1.046
FG - 1.011
EBC - 7.3
IBU - 36
ABV - 4.6%

All went pretty smoothly and 23 litres of clear bright wort into the fermentor.View attachment 99175View attachment 99176
How the heck do you get the wort that clear out the boiler? At best my wort is murky but last brew was muddy looking.
I use protofloc, grain basket and G4 bottom plate ?

How the heck do you get the wort that clear out the boiler? At best my wort is murky but last brew was muddy looking.
I use protofloc, grain basket and G4 bottom plate ?

Honestly, no idea! I haven't been at this all that long (10-15 brews maybe?).
I use a Klarstein Mundschenk bought on here from @Jiffy176. He put a good false bottom plate in which catches most of the hop debris.

Protofloc in at 10 minutes from the end. Most brews involve a hopstand, after which I give the wort a good stir to try and get the debris gathering in the middle. Then it sits for a good 30 - 40 mins to let the Protofloc do its work. When it looks clear I transfer..

British Golden Ale
Harlequin, Jester and Olicana Hops

Golden Promise, Carapils and Wheat Malt with a bit of Clear Choice as I was short on GP..

OG - 1.046
FG - 1.011
EBC - 7.3
IBU - 36
ABV - 4.6%

All went pretty smoothly and 23 litres of clear bright wort into the fermentor

Checked this yesterday and CML FIVE taken off well with a lovely thick krausen.
Quite alarmed to see the sticky thermometer on the side of the bin reading 24-26 deg. FV is in an eave space which usually holds at around 18-20. Hadn't registered we'd actually had some warm weather recently.. aheadbutt

Quick check of the wort and it was at 23deg. Still within CML's recommended temp range, but to be safe it's gone into a flexitub of cold water.
Now sitting at 20 deg. Airlock bubbling has slowed so hope I haven't chilled it too much...

Really must get a ferm fridge!

Checked this yesterday and CML FIVE taken off well with a lovely thick krausen.
Quite alarmed to see the sticky thermometer on the side of the bin reading 24-26 deg. FV is in an eave space which usually holds at around 18-20. Hadn't registered we'd actually had some warm weather recently.. aheadbutt

Quick check of the wort and it was at 23deg. Still within CML's recommended temp range, but to be safe it's gone into a flexitub of cold water.
Now sitting at 20 deg. Airlock bubbling has slowed so hope I haven't chilled it too much...

Really must get a ferm fridge!

Nothing wrong with a slow ferment and +1 for the brew fridge, a big door opens up invitingly.

Help / Advice needed.
Have a brew which I'm trying hard to avoid oxidisation. I've got some abscorbic acid turning up later (as suggested) and I'll dry hop it later without bags.

It's happily reached FG of 1.008 which is what I expected and it's still very yellow in colour which is promising.

It's also been suggested that I cold crash it after dry hopping so that the hops drop to the bottom.

How long after dry hopping would you suggest? Immediately? 24 hours? Longer? How long for?

I don't hold much hope. When I took the tube to do the reading, I had a quick taste. It has a horrid mouldy taste which the previous one had. No idea why. Everything was clean. I used a different FV. In fact, the only thing that was consistent was the yeast and the hops.

I guess maybe I should wait the fully 6 weeks before trying again. Normally with these kind of hoppy beers, they don't actually care if you don't leave them too long.

Split batch of a no boil Berliner Weisse today. 3kg pilsner & 2kg wheat should give me around 35 litres of 1.041 OG wort. I'll liquor that back to 40 litres to give me 2 x 20 litres batches fermented with Lallemand's Philly Sour.

One will get around 3kg of fresh rhubarb added & the other 3-4 preserved lemons. Super refreshing & perfect for the summer.

With no boil, it's a shorter brew day & I end up with twice the beer, what's not to love!

Split batch of a no boil Berliner Weisse today. 3kg pilsner & 2kg wheat should give me around 35 litres of 1.041 OG wort. I'll liquor that back to 40 litres to give me 2 x 20 litres batches fermented with Lallemand's Philly Sour.

One will get around 3kg of fresh rhubarb added & the other 3-4 preserved lemons. Super refreshing & perfect for the summer.

With no boil, it's a shorter brew day & I end up with twice the beer, what's not to love!
I haven't tried no boil in a while.

A small batch of Hefeweizen for the Euros.

Batch -12.5L
OG -1.051
IBUs - 14
EBC - 7.5
ABV - 5.5%

Water

Ca-90 Mg-9 Na-15 Co3-15 SO4-100 Cl-100

Mash - 10' @ 45c then 50' @ 67c.

Extra Pale Planet - 30%
Munich Malt - 20%
Wheat Malt - 50%
First Gold (Home grown) - 20g

Boil - 60'

Aurora - 5g @ FW
Protofloc - 0.3g @10'
Aurora- 20g @ 0'

Fermentation

Lallemand Munich Classic

Brewed a Vienna Lager on Friday using Vienna and Munich malts from the 50% Geterbrewed sale. Not had much luck with lagers in the past as they usually end up oxidised, so this could be the last time I brew a lager if it's another failure.

As my previous successful lager was kegged, i decided to only brew a 12L batch so that I can fill my 10L keg and a few bottles. Wish me luck!

I have been too busy in the garden for brewing but now I have the time to brew again. So an ESB, 34 litres of brewing liquor, 6.10 kg of grain. Dough in at 67C.
IMG_1035.JPG

Stir until temperatures are in alignment. One observation is that mashing without the lid the foam insulates the mash really well, a gentle stir was needed to keep the top and bottom temperatures even.
IMG_1037.JPG

In with the crystal malts at mashout.
IMG_1038.JPG

A good squeeze not only gets a couple of litres more wort but increases efficiency.
IMG_1040.JPG

Forecast OG 1,050, not a bad result.
IMG_1043.JPG

Yesterday I brewed a Steam Pilsener using up a few malts and trying out a couple of German hops for the first time.

Hallertau Blanc Steam Pilsener
Batch #51 12L
BIAB no sparge
Total water 16.7L

OG 1.052
FG 1.012
ABV 5.3%
EBC 8.5
IBU 36

Organic extra pale 1.1 kg
Vienna 1kg
Pale MO .5kg
Plumage Archer .5kg

Tettnang 10gm 60mins
Saaz 20gm 10mins
Hallertau Blanc 15gm 5mins

Hallertau Blanc 35gm hopstand @80c 30mins

Hallertau Blanc 50gm dry hop 3 days

OG up at 1.056, perhaps down to longer mash while I mowed the grass.

MJ54 now well underway

impromptu brew day. Strong bitter.

Pale malt, amber, crystal 130 and torrefied wheat. Single hopped with keg.

1050 og, should come in at 4.9% whc depending.

I've just took samples of a split batch Vienna Lager to try out Einstein and Novalager on the same wort. Both are a few days at FG and hit the same 1.012, the Nova being noticeably clearer, and ever so slightly darker.
Beautiful smell off the Einstein sample and the Nova doesn't really smell of anything at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-15 073814.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 073814.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-05-15 073840.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 073840.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back