Threat of oxidation dry hopping during active fermentation/biotransformation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darlacat

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with oxidation when dry hopping during active fermentation/high krausen?

I'm less bothered about the biotransformational aspect of this, but more the lesser chance of oxidation, so am keen to give it a go. I don't have the ability on my FVs to purge the headspace with c02, and usually dry hop in my serving keg (I haven't experienced any grassy flavours with this method, although I am tempted to pick up a spare cornelius keg to closed transfer from dry hopping keg to serving keg).

I'm wary of dry hopping the primary fermenter due to oxidation issues in the past (when dry hopping post-fermentation), so am wondering if dry hopping at high krausen will alleviate this issue.

If it's working for you dry hopping in the keg (I do the same) then why are you looking to move to FV? Just an experiment?

I wouldn't be too worried about oxidation at that point. Presumably, fermentation built a nice blanket of CO2. If you are gentle about adding the hops and don't go stirring and sloshing, it should be just fine.

The biggest reason I don't dry hop in the FV is I don't think it would give me the hop characteristics that I get by leaving them in the serving keg for the life of the beer.

I'd be interested to hear from FV dry-hoppers on how much "hoppiness" they get from that method.

If it's working for you dry hopping in the keg (I do the same) then why are you looking to move to FV? Just an experiment?

Partly an experiment, parly as I often make 23 litre batches - kegging 19, then bottling the rest. So some batches I end up with a dry hopped keg, and a non-dry hopped bottle version.

what is going on in the image in post no.69? The bag suspended by calipers?
:laugh8:
That’s a balloon I use to collect the CO2 from my fermentation bucket. As the balloon expands so the callipers are forced apart which switches a micro-switch when the balloon is full. The switch operates a valve to switch the gas supply from the balloon (so it doesn’t burst) to a bubbler. OTT or what!
FYI go back to post #52 for a bit more detail if you’re interested ashock1

Latest posts

Back