The Freezer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1695053140293.png

Our local freezer centre was ironically called Cordon Bleu. I vaguely recall it only having one aisle made from chest freezers, that snaked through the store.

Few things I remember about Bejams. Massive packs of fish fingers, must have been 100 fish fingers in a sack. Four litre tubs of fairly bland vanilla ice cream, raspberry ripple may also have been available. Finally little plastic tubes of frozen orange juice concentrate so you could "make" your own OJ at home, basically just put one of them in a jug, add water to around a litre, wait for it to thaw, give it a stir, and there's your orange juice.

Remember us having a chest freezer for all these wonderous goods, then came the microwave....

Remember us having a chest freezer for all these wonderous goods, then came the microwave....
I think most families had a chest freezer back then, most families i knew had two or three kids so they needed plenty of storage for all that frozen food.

Food was often cooked to go in the freezer, i doubt many people do that now.

Fresh food was probably also more seasonal.

The taste of the late 70's, early 80's, that soggy, unseasoned frozen mixed veg. Even if you got treated to a pub lunch, you still got that on the side. 🤢

I remember my parents acquiring a chest freezer in the late 70’s. My mothers family were butchers; twice a year half a cow, a whole pig and various offal cuts would be portioned up and deposited in it.
Meanwhile, the 9 year old me dreaming of being able to have a Crispy Pancake instead of suffering the nose-to-tail, high welfare, locally farmed and butchered meat that got cooked up most nights instead 😂

Mmm... Crispy Pancakes. Nearly as good as those Canadian Steaks, a couple of millimeter thick and used to shrink to half their size on contact with a hot frying pan.

Latest posts

Back